FrankOverIP

[Designer] Change default unit

Is there any way to change the default unit in Affinity Designer on iPad? Usually I don‘t work with points and it makes me crazy to always change the unit before changing a value...

Hi FrankOverIP :)

The default unit shown on tools is that of the document, meaning if you create a new document you can set the document units to other measurements such as millimetres, inches etc and this will become the default unit for tools for that document.

On 7/15/2018 at 9:14 AM, Dan C said:

The default unit shown on tools is that of the document, meaning if you create a new document you can set the document units to other measurements such as millimetres, inches etc and this will become the default unit for tools for that document.

So what do the Interface preference switches that enable/disable displaying text & lines in points actually do? There is no mention I can find in the help topic about the lines switch but there is this for the text switch:

163244109_interfaceprefs.jpg.1558d4a3a07d59adcfb79305df4c82d9.jpg

However, even with both switches off, when I try to enter text in a document I have set to use px as its default, the dials always show me pt & worse, trying to change the text size in the Text Studio using the calculator display set to px, whatever I enter is interpreted as a pt value, so there seems to be no way to work with text in px dimensions.

This seems like a bug to me....

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

The text being displayed in points despite the setting in Preferences (Text in points disabled) is a known issue that's already logged to be looked at.

I hope that they also are aware that the popup calculator does not accept px even when it is set to that unit & whatever number is entered is interpreted as points.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1