You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Designer] Change default unit

• Staff

Hi FrankOverIP :)

The default unit shown on tools is that of the document, meaning if you create a new document you can set the document units to other measurements such as millimetres, inches etc and this will become the default unit for tools for that document.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 7/15/2018 at 9:14 AM, Dan C said:

The default unit shown on tools is that of the document, meaning if you create a new document you can set the document units to other measurements such as millimetres, inches etc and this will become the default unit for tools for that document.

So what do the Interface preference switches that enable/disable displaying text & lines in points actually do? There is no mention I can find in the help topic about the lines switch but there is this for the text switch:

163244109_interfaceprefs.jpg.1558d4a3a07d59adcfb79305df4c82d9.jpg

However, even with both switches off, when I try to enter text in a document I have set to use px as its default, the dials always show me pt & worse, trying to change the text size in the Text Studio using the calculator display set to px, whatever I enter is interpreted as a pt value, so there seems to be no way to work with text in px dimensions.

This seems like a bug to me....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

The text being displayed in points despite the setting in Preferences (Text in points disabled) is a known issue that's already logged to be looked at.

I hope that they also are aware that the popup calculator does not accept px even when it is set to that unit & whatever number is entered is interpreted as points.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...

I was frustrated importing existing photos into Affinity Photo for iPad in having to deal with the Transform dimensions default set to Pixels with no apparent way to change the overall document import default measurement to inches (or any other preferred measurement system) until I tried…

Selecting the DOCUMENT icon at top left, tapping on RESIZE ( checking that the ratio lock was highlighted), changing the UNITS to inches,  then tapping on the APPLY circle at bottom right and…voilá!—the TRANSFORM palette now renders all measurements in inches going forward.

Although there doesn't seem to be a way to set a universal measurement display for photo imports, it at least does reset the current imported photo to inches in placing any subsequent items and/or continuing to work on that project.

It would be great to have that universal default measurement option in SETTINGS…and while I'm on the subject of default settings, also:

An option when using PLACE to import a photo or graphic initially as either:

1) Rasterized Original—since having to "draw" their size each time would make it SO much easier to import a set of matching photos without having to use TRANSFORM to set the X/Y and size dimensions for each subsequent photo placement import

2) Smart Object, which would then require selecting an additional SET-as-Smart-Object or SET-as-rasterized once the desired size was reached. 

This would speed the overall PLACE workflow considerably in not having to select RASTERIZE everytime before being allowed to Cut, Copy or Delete a selectioned area for each placed graphic.

And a floating circle Nudge palette with four directional arrows (like in Adobe's discontinued PS Touch app) would complete Affinity Photo as my now #1 default photo editing and graphic design app on my iPad. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/24/2020 at 10:26 AM, Pedro Antonio said:

It would be great to have that universal default measurement option in SETTINGS

And a floating circle Nudge palette with four directional arrows (like in Adobe's discontinued PS Touch app) would complete Affinity Photo as my now #1 default photo editing and graphic design app on my iPad. 

I second these two

• 2 months later...
On 12/25/2020 at 1:26 AM, Pedro Antonio said:

I was frustrated importing existing photos into Affinity Photo for iPad in having to deal with the Transform dimensions default set to Pixels with no apparent way to change the overall document import default measurement to inches (or any other preferred measurement system) until I tried…

Selecting the DOCUMENT icon at top left, tapping on RESIZE ( checking that the ratio lock was highlighted), changing the UNITS to inches,  then tapping on the APPLY circle at bottom right and…voilá!—the TRANSFORM palette now renders all measurements in inches going forward.

I tried this but still goes back to pt even if I set it to px. Help? Affinity Designer for iPad issue. I know it says it's an issue already logged back in 2018, but it appears to be back? 

9 minutes ago, soda85 said:

I know it says it's an issue already logged back in 2018, but it appears to be back?

It only says it was logged, it doesn’t say it was ever fixed! :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Please see -

Unfortunately the issue is still logged with our developers to be fixed at this time, my apologies.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!