Jump to content
JackStraw

Typography not visible (split)

Recommended Posts

I just purchased Designer for my iPad Air 2. I‘ve noticed that none of the delivered fonts have any of the advanced features. All have Capitals and a few also have Figure Positions, but nothing else. Do these features have to be turned on somewhere? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi JackStraw,
Welcome to the forums :) 

These features don't need to be turned on, it's simply that many fonts included on iOS don't support these features. You can install custom fonts through the settings of Affinity Designer, so if you have any specific fonts or typography features in mind this can be easily achieved, check out our video below!
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/ipad/#/video/273647530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dan C,

Thanks for your reply. I had seen the video and it’s great that this feature is available, but I’m a bit disappointed that none of the included fonts can utilize the advanced typography feature. I would have thought that “Zapfino”, for instance, would have been a prime candidate. I guess I’ll have to search for custom fonts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far, the only font I have found included with iOS 11 that has any advanced OpenType features is Apple SD Gothic Neo, but the annotation & alternate forms are not likely to be useful for most purposes. (Zapfino, at least for Mac OS, is just a TrueType font, not an OpenType one, so it is not too surprising it has no advanced OpenType features.)

I could easily be wrong but I have the impression that the fonts with lots of these advanced features are usually quite pricey & designed for specialized uses in niche markets.


Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I could easily be wrong but I have the impression that the fonts with lots of these advanced features are usually quite pricey & designed for specialized uses in niche markets.

I’m not so sure about the “niche markets” aspect, but I think you’re right about the “usually quite pricey”. For example, the font used in the ‘Advanced Typography’ tutorial video costs about US$35, and that’s just for a single weight. However, there are many free fonts with various OpenType features (sometimes with more than just two or three) if you know where to look.

9E3412D6-53E1-43DF-8E17-72E114A8CDB5.jpeg

079A81DC-EC05-4D66-B7F9-C385366266D0.jpeg


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

However, there are many free fonts with various OpenType features (sometimes with more than just two or three) if you know where to look.

OK, are you going to tell us where to look or keep that a secret? :S

Regarding the fonts you show samples of, Countryside is free for personal use only, with a commercial use licenses priced "From $39.00." Talapanna is also described as free for personal use, but I could not find any info about commercial use restrictions.


Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

OK, are you going to tell us where to look or keep that a secret? :S

Are you going to tell us? You’ve obviously managed to find out! ;) Joking aside, Font Library is a good source of free fonts, but I don’t know of a way to find out about the extent of OpenType support without downloading the font(s) in question.

I’d forgotten about the “free for personal use” aspect as it relates to Countryside and other Billy Argel fonts. Talapanna, like all of Bhikkhu Pesala’s fonts, is completely free (and you can even distribute modified copies, as long as you comply with the terms of the GNU licence under which it was released).


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Are you going to tell us? You’ve obviously managed to find out!

I only found out about the one Apple font, & I did that by tedious trial & error. :(


Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I only found out about the one Apple font, & I did that by tedious trial & error. :(

All I meant was that you found Countryside and Talapanna by yourself. Sorry about that!

The font manager that I use allows me to search its database for fonts with particular OpenType features, but it’s currently only available for Windows (and again, you can’t get that information into the database unless you have a copy of the font).


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

All I meant was that you found Countryside and Talapanna by yourself.

Actually, all I did was look at your post & start searching for fonts with those names, & it took me a while to figure out that Olapanna was not a font! :$


Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can sign up to various font vendor's website newsletters and each week receive information on both free and paid-for fonts. Many/most of the free fonts have OT features and also includes a commercial license. 


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 3:31 PM, Dan C said:

Hi JackStraw,
Welcome to the forums :) 

These features don't need to be turned on, it's simply that many fonts included on iOS don't support these features. You can install custom fonts through the settings of Affinity Designer, so if you have any specific fonts or typography features in mind this can be easily achieved, check out our video below!
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/ipad/#/video/273647530

Hi, I’m Liliana. I am loving being able to work from my iPad with the Affinity Designer. But I’m having trouble intalling fonts. It won’t let me, I updated iOS and nothing... help please :)

FDAB6F01-D1BA-4604-979B-D1794567181D.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi lilianasp,

Welcome to the forums!

Could you confirm for me, are you trying to install the fonts from your local iPad storage or the cloud?

If possible, could you provide me with the fonts you are trying to install? If you cannot make these public, they can be sent in a direct message to me through my profile :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dan C said:

If possible, could you provide me with the fonts you are trying to install? If you cannot make these public, they can be sent in a direct message to me through my profile :)

As you can see from Liliana’s screenshot, the Quicksand font family is released under the (SIL) OFL, or Open Font License, so it’s freely distributable. :)

Edit: Since that font is distributed by Font Squirrel, the easiest way to install it on iPad is to use the ‘Install on iPad’ button on their Quicksand page.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dan C said:

More coffee needed for me! O.o

Here you go, Dan:

E8D5E84B-8636-4D97-84D0-282182B49A1C.gif.002bda84528f80bce7d9f03062ed822f.gif


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've installed the aforementioned font from both local iPad storage and my iCloud account;

IMG_72BA101E641A-1.jpeg

Are your fonts still in a ZIP folder? These will need extracting before Affinity can access the fonts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi lilianasp,

Welcome to the forums!

Could you confirm for me, are you trying to install the fonts from your local iPad storage or the cloud?

If possible, could you provide me with the fonts you are trying to install? If you cannot make these public, they can be sent in a direct message to me through my profile :)

Hey! They are on my Google Drive. It won't let me select them. The fonts are free, from google fonts. Any ideas? Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dan C said:

I've installed the aforementioned font from both local iPad storage and my iCloud account;

IMG_72BA101E641A-1.jpeg

Are your fonts still in a ZIP folder? These will need extracting before Affinity can access the fonts.

No, no, yes they are unzipped 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve successfully installed the Google Fonts version of the Quicksand family (four styles, unlike the seven from Font Squirrel) via Google Drive. When I browsed to the folder containing the fonts, I didn’t see ‘paper aeroplane’ icons, which suggests to me that there may be some kind of file association thing getting in the way.

 

78881B39-7485-4D55-83FE-4F4DD3E8BBFF.jpeg


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lilianasp said:

They are on my Google Drive. It won't let me select them

Thanks for confirming that, I have the same issue on the iPad here and each font has been assigned an icon for a different app than yours, in both Files and Designer.

If I open my Google Drive in the Files app, I can't select these font files either and they are greyed out, which would lead me to believe this is a file association issue as Alfreds post above shows the fonts without icons and he is able to install them in Designer.

Unfortunately this is a handshake type issue between Google Drive and iOS and there's not much control we have over this, however if you move or copy the font folder into your iCloud or your iPads internal storage then you'll be able to install your fonts into Designer :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that, I have the same issue on the iPad here and each font has been assigned an icon for a different app than yours, in both Files and Designer.

If I open my Google Drive in the Files app, I can't select these font files either and they are greyed out, which would lead me to believe this is a file association issue as Alfreds post above shows the fonts without icons and he is able to install them in Designer.

Unfortunately this is a handshake type issue between Google Drive and iOS and there's not much control we have over this, however if you move or copy the font folder into your iCloud or your iPads internal storage then you'll be able to install your fonts into Designer :)

I had tried with the cloud and the same thing happened... now tried with dropbox and it worked!!! Thanks so much everyone:) Have a good one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had similar issues with other Google Drive users and .afdesign files as well as font files. To confirm what has been mentioned above, there is currently an issue with Google Drive and uploading files from a Windows machine, further info can be found here if needed:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dan C said:

there is currently an issue with Google Drive and uploading files fromWindows machine

That would explain it, Dan! I uploaded those font files from my iPad.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×