You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reverse text path on iPad?

• Staff

Hi osang :)

Once you've created your text on a curve, simply hit Enter once and you can begin typing on the other side of the curve, then adjust the red and green handles to suit your needs. Unfortunately there isn't a direct Reverse Text Path option like on the desktop.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

If you put some text on a path,  click on the Pen Tool and then the extended Context Toolbar arrow (to the right of the Toolbar) and there is a "Reverse Text Path" button in there.

P,S I believe you need to have On-screen modifier keys switched on (Preferences > Interface) to access the extended Context Toolbar option. If you don't have them on already.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff
15 hours ago, toltec said:

I believe you need to have On-screen modifier keys switched on (Preferences > Interface) to access the extended Context Toolbar option

You're not wrong! I thought the tool was available but having not been able to find it I had assumed it was a Desktop to iOS difference. Apologies for the incorrect information, thanks toltec :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

9 minutes ago, Dan C said:

You're not wrong! I thought the tool was available but having not been able to find it I had assumed it was a Desktop to iOS difference. Apologies for the incorrect information, thanks toltec :)

Don’t feel too bad, Dan! There are quite a few things hiding in weird places. The Context toolbar for the Pen Tool is also where the stroke width control resides, and (although it’s logical when you think about it) when I was looking for the alignment commands it wasn’t immediately obvious to me that I needed to look in the Transform Studio.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
15 hours ago, toltec said:

P,S I believe you need to have On-screen modifier keys switched on (Preferences > Interface) to access the extended Context Toolbar option. If you don't have them on already.

No need to have this option enabled since the Reverse path is a function of the Pen Tool, not a modifier key.

• Staff
1 minute ago, MEB said:

No need to have this option enabled since the Reverse path is a function of the Pen Tool, not a modifier key.

Strange, the option was not appearing for me earlier with the pen tool selected after I checked this function was switched off... back to the drawing board for me today! :/

7 hours ago, MEB said:

The Preferences help topic is not very clear on what that switch does ...

412371193_modkeyshelp.jpg.199efab8fc405ff266333d7eafebe245.jpg

... so unless users are familiar with the desktop app & what the modifier keys do in it, they probably will have a hard time understanding what that means.

Anyway, like MEB said, on my iPad it doesn't matter if that is enabled for the Pen tool's context menu to show the reverse path button. The only thing it does not show if disabled are the Constrain, Node Tool, & Ignore Snapping options that are available using modifier keys on the desktop apps. This is consistent with the other drawing tools like the Pencil & Vector Brush, & with the Node Tool, for which the switch enables the same modifier keys as in the desktop app.

8 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

There are quite a few things hiding in weird places. The Context toolbar for the Pen Tool is also where the stroke width control resides ...

It is also hiding on the Pencil Tool Context toolbar. I don't know how I overlooked it until now, but it is also in the most logical place for it, namely the Stroke Studio. :$

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

It is also hiding on the Pencil Tool Context toolbar. I don't know how I overlooked it until now, but it is also in the most logical place for it, namely the Stroke Studio. :$

Although all of the above is true for Affinity Designer, it isn’t much use to anyone wishing to vary the stroke width in Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I can‘t get it work for me.. Basically I dublicated the top part with the text and rotated it by 180 degrees. I was searching for reverse text path button all the time and found this thread. Yes, there is one with the pen tool as you mentioned, but it doesn‘t do anything with my text. Can someone help me?

B55A9BBC-F7E4-4837-97AF-18D30E32DAEB.png

AC27199B-AE4E-418F-A4F7-251957D3E594.png

• Staff

Hi PixelElements,

Welcome to the forums!

I've tried to duplicate this issue but unfortunately I'm unable to, I've attached a video of me following your workflow below:

Could you possibly provide us with a copy of your .afdesign file so we can look into this for you?

48 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi PixelElements,

Welcome to the forums!

I've tried to duplicate this issue but unfortunately I'm unable to, I've attached a video of me following your workflow below:

Could you possibly provide us with a copy of your .afdesign file so we can look into this for you?

Thanks for your video. Maybe I am too dumb with my case, I dont know. Ive uploaded the file, maybe you can help me out :)

Erstes Logo.afdesign

• Staff
48 minutes ago, Pixelements said:

Maybe I am too dumb with my case, I dont know

Not at all, I've just learnt something new too! :D

Our desktop version allows you to reverse the path of text on a Shape Path Text as well as a Curves Text Path, however there is a concernable difference between the two types and the iPad is slightly limited here.

Shape does not have a direction, unlike a Curve, and I can see in your design that the text frame has been created on a Shape and not a Curve, hence when selecting it with the Pen tool it does not work as expected. To reverse text flow on a Shape the iPad needs the Reverse Text Path option that appears in the context toolbar on the desktop when selecting the object with the Move tool, which is not currently an available option to the iPad version.

If you create an eclipse and then Convert to Curves, this assigns a 'direction' to the curve which can be reversed using the Pen tool. Add text to this curve to convert it to a Curves text path and then try reversing the flow using the Pen tool and you'll see the results you're looking for!

Our developers are aware of the differences between desktop and iPad here and it has been logged as an improvement. Apologies for the confusion!

28 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Not at all, I've just learnt something new too! :D

Our desktop version allows you to reverse the path of text on a Shape Path Text as well as a Curves Text Path, however there is a concernable difference between the two types and the iPad is slightly limited here.

Shape does not have a direction, unlike a Curve, and I can see in your design that the text frame has been created on a Shape and not a Curve, hence when selecting it with the Pen tool it does not work as expected. To reverse text flow on a Shape the iPad needs the Reverse Text Path option that appears in the context toolbar on the desktop when selecting the object with the Move tool, which is not currently an available option to the iPad version.

If you create an eclipse and then Convert to Curves, this assigns a 'direction' to the curve which can be reversed using the Pen tool. Add text to this curve to convert it to a Curves text path and then try reversing the flow using the Pen tool and you'll see the results you're looking for!

Our developers are aware of the differences between desktop and iPad here and it has been logged as an improvement. Apologies for the confusion!

Thank you so much for the explanation. Maybe it will get updated in the future :) Erm.. And how do I convert my shape into a curve, so I can reverse the path of my curve, instead of the shape?

nvm. I've found it. But in my case it doesn't work anymore, because it turns all the letters into a curve, instead of the shape. Or did you get it working with my example file?

• Staff

You'll need to delete the Shape Path Text you've already created and start again with a new ellipse unfortunately! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

OMG, you don't understand how long it took me to find this information on the internet! These forum boards have been invaluable when it comes to learning how to work in Affinity Designer, but a lot of these messages are years old or are geared towards the desktop version (not the iPad, which is the only version I have). Knowing how to put text on the inside and outside of a circle on the iPad is information that Affinity NEEDS to make easier to find.

Anyways, loving the program so far, but it is a steep learning curve on the iPad.