You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just a shout-out

Most of my processing is done in Dxo's Optics Pro and AP is my main external editor. In that mode the Inpainting Tool is the most used tool in the software. It has taken care of vignetting, sun glare, extra people in the image, ugly signs, reflective road markers and a ton of other stuff.

It is a wonderful tool.

Agreed. In my testing, I've found the Inpainting tool to be pretty incredible...easily as good, if not slightly better, than Adobe's Healing brush. And, FWIW, I've found that when dealing with fairly complicated image areas (read lots of surrounding texture, etc) that keeping a keen eye on brush size and using short strokes amazes, once again!

Best regards,

AlanH

Agreed. In my testing, I've found the Inpainting tool to be pretty incredible...easily as good, if not slightly better, than Adobe's Healing brush. And, FWIW, I've found that when dealing with fairly complicated image areas (read lots of surrounding texture, etc) that keeping a keen eye on brush size and using short strokes amazes, once again!

Yes. Agree completely. I have learned to adjust how I use the Inpainting brush, depending upon what I am removing. 

In general I use a brush only a little bigger than the area I am going to remove and I only remove that part of something with a common sort of background each time. For example, if I am removing a pole that spans shrubs and dirt (I live in Arizona) I first remove the part showing in the shrub area and then the part showing in the dirt. If I am removing something like the reflector poles along a highway I will remove the top white reflector first and only then remove the aluminum pole. If I am careful I get astonishing results. The more I use AP the more I like it.

There are lots of very good tools in AP, but this is definitely one of my favorites.

Hello Mike,

Yes, that's exactly what I meant by watching your brush size and the surrounding area. Like you've already discovered, if one uses short strokes with the right size brush covering the area needing removal to similar texture area around it, the results can be nothing short of incredible. Does it work all the time? Well...no; nothing does. No clue what algorithm is behind this brush, but it sure chooses wisely!! :)

Best regards,

AlanH

Alan(s)  

Yes what you say is spot on.  When I first used the inpaint tool, it seemed OK but not great and I preferred the clone stamp.  On reading your comments I went back to some images where I wanted to removed fence wires, zoomed to the point where the individual pixels showed and used the inpaint tool at between 2 and 10 pixels, with short strokes and it was brilliant.  I have tried the healing tool in the latest version of Adobe LR and AP wins comfortably!

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.