You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request for production

I,m an Apparel designer, 3d modeler an character designer i have use a lot of design App desktop and mobiles and affinity for production is not suitable so here is my feature request

- selection in affinity is not suitable for production for example I want to select all object with same stroke color or same fill color this is not possible in designer

-select same fill color, stroke color, same symbol, by apperance “multi fill or multi stroke”, by style, by text, by mask, by transparency and so on.

-I cant cut object with stroke this is useful to separate shape this is what happens

-A mirror tool i don’t see a way to mirror from position center transform point I use thi a lot for production

-A dinamyc mirror good for Apparel design I use mirror me from astute graphics

-A match tool for matching graphics with specific part of of the T-shirt I use collider scribe from astute graphics

2018-07-14 22.42.58

-edge tool to select edge in an object any vector program have this feature very useful in illustrator i have to select by point to extract an edge 

to complement the edge tool

- dinámyc offset for edge, edge extend tool etc...

I don’t see an apperance panel in affinity like illustrator really useful 

I have some more feature request and lot of ideas to convert affinity to a powerful production tool

If you try to cut a shape by subtracting an open curve, the Affinity apps will close the curve (by joining its ends with a straight line segment) before performing the subtraction.

You need to select the curve/stroke and use the ‘Expand Stroke’ command to convert it to a shape, and you will then be able to subtract that shape from the other one to give you a Curves object consisting of the cut pieces. Finally, use the ‘Divide’ command to split that object into separate shapes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

kakachiex, I absolutely agree with then need for being able to split objects with lines.

Alfred is pointing out the only current means of splitting objects. I don't do apparel per se ( do screen printing designs sometimes, though). This is needed for all industries.

Mike

25 minutes ago, kakachiex said:

- if I’ use your method the expanded stroke will create an space that I don’t want this is not the correct method I need the stroke to cut the shape whitow creating extra space 

In that case, overlap the original closed curve with a second closed curve of the appropriate shape, select both curves, choose the ‘Divide’ to chop up the two shapes, and then discard any unwanted pieces.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi kakachiex,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your feedback. As noted above Affinity doesn't support boolean operations between shapes and lines. Lines will be connected/closed when used with boolean operations. You have to use closed shapes to perform what you want. See clip below:

1 minute ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

In that case, overlap the original closed curve with a second closed curve of the appropriate shape, select both curves, choose the ‘Divide’ to chop up the two shapes, and then discard any unwanted pieces.

One of the keywords I see is production. I'm all for work-arounds when needed. But work-arounds that significantly increase time are just not worth the effort. It's just easier to either use an application that supports the action or at worse switch between the two applications when that can be done.

The work-around in this case, using a closed-shape, is one of those things I avoid AD for if there is a good portion of this work I know I'll need to perform.

I know it work but my point is to do the logical or correct way not hacking or tricking here is a way to do it, I like Affinity because is the only professionals vector app on ios and I want to migrate my workflow to mobile I feel moré confortable an a more artistic feel with the Apple Pencil

here is the only way to do it 

A53B7094-2B0A-4197-9504-FDC1503775C8.png

Here are some other feature request for fast production workflow

- color merge:

in production I use temp color [C1/C2/C3/C4] ETC. that will be replace with the client “Pantone color” for example I have diferent area of a design all C1 will be replace with PMS 289 Navy

all are with the C2 TEMP COLOR with PMS 200 RED with the merge function I only have to select PMS and the CX color and merge all CX color will be replaced.

- recolor tool:

the recolor tool will allow the user to selectively replace color whitow compromised other artwork in the document really useful for production

You're right, often not find some work routines is frustrating, I'm "experimenting" with designers for several months and I'm slowly discovering many features that are useful and better replace those I used on Illustrator.

Color overlay, in level effects, is very useful for graphics in the fashion design sector.

I suggest a tutorial that I found on Youtube that, even if it refers to the construction of a logo, I think it will be very useful to understand the use of the levels and non-destructive operations essential for fashion design. 

The one of the selection for the same colors, however, is just something that I miss !!!

On 7/16/2018 at 1:23 AM, kakachiex said:

This is what happens with your method

433C3D24-76F2-4D9C-A034-F42B935050B6.png

Remove the stroke from the shapes, just keep a solid fill and you get what you want, but I do agree that allowing a slice based on a line without thickness would be awesome. So would better snapping (to tangents and mid points), mirror above an arbitrary axis (with snapping), and a whole bunch more, but hey, Affinity Designer is an awesome tool for first release, and props to the fellas for their hard work :)

IMG_8744.JPG

On 7/16/2018 at 9:36 AM, Filo63 said:

You're right, often not find some work routines is frustrating, I'm "experimenting" with designers for several months and I'm slowly discovering many features that are useful and better replace those I used on Illustrator.

Color overlay, in level effects, is very useful for graphics in the fashion design sector.

I suggest a tutorial that I found on Youtube that, even if it refers to the construction of a logo, I think it will be very useful to understand the use of the levels and non-destructive operations essential for fashion design. 

The one of the selection for the same colors, however, is just something that I miss !!!

I agree, same color selection is essential. Blend tool and warp (for example netflix logo with arc lower) as well.