You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to maintain gradient in photo?

Hi, I would like to know how to keep the gradient options in a Pixel layer, because when I remove the gradient tool the bar disappears and I cannot edit the gradient again, I would like to know how to recover the gradient if I change to another tool.

Thank you so much

Captura de pantalla 2018-07-14 19.16.59.png

Captura de pantalla 2018-07-14 19.16.46.png

Edited by wolfmius
Update photos

Unfortunately, you can't keep the gradient added to a pixel layer editable because it replaces the pixels of that layer with the pixels of the gradient. IOW, it is not an adjustment or live filter. It is equivalent to panting on the pixel layer with the Paint Brush, Smudge, or any other tool that alters the pixels of that layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

After making your selection add a Fill Layer
Make the gradient on that Layer
and you can reedit the gradient later just by selecting the layer and the Gradient tool

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

16 minutes ago, carl123 said:

After making your selection add a Fill Layer
Make the gradient on that Layer
and you can reedit the gradient later just by selecting the layer and the Gradient tool

It also gives you the ability to use opacity and blend modes on that layer for different effects.

What are you hoping to achieve, maybe we can help with that too?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Fill layers are a special kind of weird. Not only will they accept editable gradient fills, you can use the Erase, Paint Brush, Flood Fill, & several other tools on them, which has the same effect as using those tools to change the opacity of the built-in mask of an adjustment layer. If you do that, then selecting the Fill layer with the Move Tool shows a bounding box around the 'mask' (?) of the Fill layer & you can move, resize, rotate or skew it (the mask) just like with the mask of an adjustment layer.

But if you do that & resize the canvas, the mask (?) does not resize even though the Fill layer does resize to fill the entire canvas. O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, GerryFox1 said:

I do not understand why I cannot pick up where I left off - to give the gradient a tweek ...

Basically, it is because the mask is in effect a greyscale pixel object rather than a vector shape object, so just like with any other pixel object, once you 'paint' a gradient on it, it is just a pixel pattern.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 month later...

@GerryFox1You can add a Fill layer (any colour) to the image as a mask then adjust the gradient nodes opacity - the gradient will then remain editable

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.