R C-R

[AD] File Disappearing from Files.app after save

Steps to reproduce:

1. Set Designer for iPad preferences to save 'On my iPad"
2. Open unsaved document from Home screen (may not be necessary) -- 0:07
3. Return to Home screen & select "Save" from burger menu -- 0:15
4. Open Files.app to "On My iPad" & note that it says Designer has "1 item" -- 0:21
5. Tap "Designer" -- 0:23
6. No file shown!

Not shown in video, quitting & restarting Files.app shows the saved file in On My iPad > Designer.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

@R C-R  Hi RC-R I was seeing same behaviour with a file I thought hadn’t been saved. I tried saving that file from Home screen but no appearance in Files Designer folder. Back to Home screen, Select change name and retitled the file. Back to Files Designer document folder and there it was. Phew!

I then created a new file from scratch and returned to Home screen. Selected save and checked Files Designer folder and there was the new File immediately available.

I am still on ios11.4 (not 11.41) maybe that is the problem?

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.150 Affinity Design 1.7.2.4 Publisher for iPad ?

@DM1 I am not sure we are talking about quite the same behavior. What I am seeing is if the default Affinity Designer preference save location is "On My iPad,"  if I select Save from the Home screen even if the document has previously been saved there, then in the Files app, the badged Designer folder shows that it includes that item:

180112392_Folderitems.jpg.28d12fec518f67845e14bbc9b97b2a94.jpg

... but after tapping on that 'On My iPad' folder, the document fails to appear there. Renaming the document from the Home screen has no effect on this, nor does saving it again from there -- it is the act of saving to the On My iPad Designer folder that seems to trigger this. The only way I have found to make it appear there is to quit & restart the Files app on the iPad.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure we are talking about quite the same behavior. W

Yes I think we are. I have that set as my default save location and it works fine (unless I am using the Open from Cloud to access a file in which case it save back to the cloud location). Unsaved/previously saved (to Files /Designer), or new files, all appear in the Files directory straight away when saved from the home screen.

I still suspect the behaviour you are seeing may be related to the latest iOS update. My iPad will probably update overnight so I guess I'll find out shortly :)

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.150 Affinity Design 1.7.2.4 Publisher for iPad ?

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

Unsaved/previously saved (to Files /Designer), or new files, all appear in the Files directory straight away when saved from the home screen.

What I am saying is for me this does not happen for previously saved files. In fact, even if a file I have saved to my iPad' Designer folder is visible because I have quit & restarted the Files app, if I just rename it in Designer's Home screen, the previously named version disappears from Files until I restart that app, & then it (correctly) still has the previous name. If I both rename & save from the Home screen, then the file disappears from Files until I restart it, & then again it still has the original name, not renamed one.

The only thing that works as expected is saving a new file to my iPad. That works until/unless I save it again -- even if I don't open the document in Designer & just save it from the home screen a second time, it disappears.

So maybe try that: just tap the burger menu on the Home screen for any file you have previously saved to your iPad, tap "Save," wait for the brief 'saving to iPad' message to disappear & from the Dock open the Files app to the 'On My iPad' Designer folder & see if the file is still listed there. If it is, what you are seeing is not the same thing I am.

15 hours ago, R C-R said:

So maybe try that: just tap the burger menu on the Home screen for any file you have previously saved to your iPad, tap "Save," wait for the brief 'saving to iPad' message to disappear & from the Dock open the Files app to the 'On My iPad' Designer folder & see if the file is still listed there

Resaving an existing file previously saved to iPad now.

Yikes, my file is gone!!!  :o  

Most definitely a bug.

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

Yikes, my file is gone!!!  :o

Try quitting & restarting the Files app. Your file should reappear.

Yes, thanks, it is back now. I'm still on 11.4 so it’s not iOS update related.

3 hours ago, DM1 said:

Yes, thanks, it is back now.

I would not have suggested you try re-saving the document unless I was (reasonably) sure the fix I mentioned in my first post would work for you too! :)

6 hours ago, DM1 said:

Most definitely a bug.

The easiest way to to see the bug in action: on the Designer Home screen with the Files app, open a side panel to the "On My iPad" Designer folder. With a previously saved document visible there, re-save that file & you can see it immediately vanish from the side panel.

This is not limited to Designer, Photo also displays this. I'm not sure what is happening here really. The file is there and saved, it just seems more of a files app refresh issue. If the problem was more with the saved file itself than there would be no file at all after a refresh. 

As there aren't really any other apps that use the file system in such a comprehensive manner as we do it's difficult to compare and see if this is more a general files issue The only thing I can think that might cause this is if we are doing something to lock the file and that's stopping the files app refreshing correctly but I'd have to pass it on to development to find that out

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

The file is there and saved, it just seems more of a files app refresh issue.

That is what I think too, because quitting & restarting the Files app always restores the file to visibility.

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

The only thing I can think that might cause this is if we are doing something to lock the file and that's stopping the files app refreshing correctly but I'd have to pass it on to development to find that out

As I understand it, in the Affinity iPad apps anything with a thumbnail on the Home screen is actually an open file (equivalent to a tab in the desktop apps, according to the help topics), & is only closed if that is done explicitly by the user (or I assume automatically if the app is quit from the iOS Control Center). But I do not see how that could cause an issue with re-saving the file that would not also cause the same issue when a file is saved for the first time. That seemingly would include locking the file, but what do I know? O.o

At least this seems 100% repeatable, so hopefully the devs can figure it out fairly quickly.

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Please retry this in the recently released ADe 1.6.1 for iPad

It works as expected now, except that if in Files I have already navigated to & opened the badged 'on my iPad' Designer folder, the file still disappears until I navigate out of & back into that folder.