You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to erase a part of a vector object?

Is this possible on Affinity Designer - iPad?

I spent an hour trying to figure this out, only to find out that the only way to do it, is to apply a pixel-based clipping mask, which doesn't do the job and doesn't make sense on a vector illustration app.

Am I missing something?

• Staff

Hi Rudychidiac,

Welcome to the forums :)

May I ask what vector object you are looking to edit/delete? It is most likely that the node tool will be able to achieve this for you but I'd like to be more specific!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

The object needs to be converted to a curve using the option 'To Curves' in the context toolbar at the bottom when the circle is selected. You then have free range over editing the vector object including adding and removing nodes and breaking the curve to effectively erase part of the object.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

I see, this could be achieved by changing to the Pixel Persona and using the Erase Brush Tool on the given vector shape, but this will simply create a clipped mask over the object as you explained in your first post. I'm aware that a other users have requested such a brush on our Desktop version, but it isn't currently on our Roadmap.

Please note -

Many thanks!

A knife tool for cutting thru vectors is on the 1.X roadmap, which might help what you are trying to do. At this point, there isn't an automatic method. I suppose its because of the way Affinity handles vector paths. The stroke attribute does not exist as a vector item, only the underlying path, which has no width.  What you can do takes a few steps. Draw the curve shape over the vector object. Set a stroke width that is appropriate. Use the expand stroke command. Then subtract the expanded stroke, which now has a periphery vector, from the vector shape. 

Example screen shot. 1 cut from a pen line, no pressure, another form a pencil line w. pressure sense turn on.

Subtraction.thumb.jpg.387b76b5fdb253bbc379bfb4530d30be.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

the process of non-destructive construction is one of the ways that allows you to do even more beautiful and also allows you to change your mind, try to watch various tutorials and the Keynote to understand that Affinity opens new worlds and new roads ... it is not mandatory follow those already followed by other software House https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T5cC6t_WoHI

On 7/14/2018 at 6:03 PM, Filo63 said:

the process of non-destructive construction is one of the ways that allows you to do even more beautiful and also allows you to change your mind, try to watch various tutorials and the Keynote to understand that Affinity opens new worlds and new roads ... it is not mandatory follow those already followed by other software House https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T5cC6t_WoHI

I really appreciate the point you make here - that Affinity is working to master a non-destructive method of operation. I was just testing out the stylus back side eraser to cut away at parts of vectors the way I would do in Illustrator with a real eraser tool... I'm all for having a non-destructive process (I'm seeing the "erasing" I am doing is merely a masking of the vector from sight), so long as there is a way to commit to the edits for a final output.

So from my understanding and borrowing from my current process in Illustrator, Once I have erased away the parts I dont need, I can expand everything and commit the changes and permanently erase what was behind the masks in order to output for use in other vector apps or programs that use vector files. 
I would try this now, but there's a major glitch with Affinity Designer's "Divide Shapes" that causes it to freeze

On 7/15/2018 at 1:03 AM, Filo63 said:

Non-destructive is of course a better way to work, but an erase is such a very, VERY basic tool that it's kinda embarrassing not to have it.

I'm new to affinity, and I've been waiting for this iPad app release for a long time, but i'm deeply disappointed.

The solution that I proposed to you is valid within AD. Often in the use of levels the results you get are valid for executive printing while in the export to other vector applications you will get rasterized elements.

What you ask is still useful and interesting.

• 1 year later...

I just realised Affinity Designer is lacking the erase tool in the Vector Persona. I understand one can do this by masking in the Pixel Persona but if one's task is simply to erase a segment of a stroke, it's quite frustrating  not to have that option. A problem I find with the masking procedure is that since it just hides and doesn't separate things, when you go back to the Vector Persona you find yourself dealing with full objects.

I use AD also for sketching, because I like the possibility of moving and resizing bits and bobs (I was trying now to erase the overlap between the torso and the arm of a cartoon character I'm designing), so the non-destructive workflow, which is no doubt great, is a bit overkill for simpler, more on-the-go tasks. 

I realise I can also break the curve and delete the excess, which is far better than masking for what I have to do right now, but still, it's not as free-flowing as a good old eraser would be. 

• Staff

Hi Cartoonjosh,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's no vector eraser tool in Designer as you noticed. This is a feature that was requested quite a few times by other users (see here for example) already so there's a chance it may end up in the program later. Thanks for your feedback.

• 1 year later...

This is accomplished quite easily. Using the above methods will pixelate your work and it will not look as good as vector grafíx. 

I do it like this:

• Select the layer you want to ’crop’
  • Add a shape (rectangle if you want a straight line) with any color selected
  • Move and modify the shape you added till it covers that which you want ‘masked’
  •  Select the entire layer that contains the image and your shape
  • Change layer blend mode to ‘Erase’

I use this method a lot.  Some affinity pro prolly gonna barf but it works like a champ.

Bonus tip:   Use the pen tool in polygon mode instead of adding shape if you have a more complex image.  Remember to create a closed figure with pen tool in order to color and change blend mode.  

Edited by googy55
Added more detail, grammar, caps and periods, bullets too.