You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Today i was trying to make simple editing by just copy (Ctrl+C) some rectangular area from bitmap layer and then past it (Ctrl-V) - but i lost my mind, what is wrong. The selecting area is ignoring and pasting the whole layer, work as duplicate. During the selection i try to select EDIT/CUT - it deleted the whole layer. What is it? So basic and primitive operations ....

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

2 minutes ago, Manofjesus said:

Today i was trying to make simple editing by just copy (Ctrl+C) some rectangular area from bitmap layer and then past it (Ctrl-V) - but i lost my mind, what is wrong. The selecting area is ignoring and pasting the whole layer, work as duplicate. During the selection i try to select EDIT/CUT - it deleted the whole layer. What is it? So basic and primitive operations ....

Is it an Image layer ?

If so Rasterise it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Ohh man - thank you - but why is so non logical especialy for old PS user? What the wisom of doing it in this way? Image is not raster? Strange

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

8 minutes ago, Manofjesus said:

Ohh man - thank you - but why is so non logical especialy for old PS user? What the wisom of doing it in this way? Image is not raster? Strange

A placed image is an embedded file. That way it keeps it's original resolution so if you export it as a slice, it can be exported at a higher resolution than the background image. Useful for web design. It also saves extra processing.

Technically, it is a raster image but Rasterise just tells photo you want to edit it.

P.S If you press Ctrl + J it duplicates the image part in one step, so no need to press copy, then paste.

I understand that also in PS. I can just place an bitmap as layer or can place it as container. The behavior in PS - i can paste bitmap or or use PLACE... as container - no problem. And when i making selection and copying - no any limiting. I can copy and paste from this selection. And no matter the underlying layer is plain raster image or raster image in container (placed with command PLACE..)  What the reason to prevent copying in the same way but for Affinity ? I want to leave the image as it is and dont want to rasterise it , but whant to copy some portion from it - is it wrong idea or behaviour?

2 hours ago, Manofjesus said:

What the reason to prevent copying in the same way but for Affinity ? I want to leave the image as it is and dont want to rasterise it , but whant to copy some portion from it - is it wrong idea or behaviour?

From what I've seen as a user, Affinity Photo is not intended to be a clone of Photoshop, nor to work identically. I think your choices are to either continue using Photoshop if you want an identical workflow, or to learn new ways of doing things in order to work with Affinity Photo. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I dont want it to be clone, that is why i bought it - but NEW WAY not has to be LONGER way or LESS HANDY way - it has not to be
counterproductive. The disability easy copy in this scenario - i can't accept this feature implementation as NEW WAY - as it is not ergonomical and non logical. It is not mean - that i dont like the product - but want the improvements.

13 minutes ago, Manofjesus said:

I dont want it to be clone, that is why i bought it - but NEW WAY not has to be LONGER way or LESS HANDY way - it has not to be
counterproductive. The disability easy copy in this scenario - i can't accept this feature implementation as NEW WAY - as it is not ergonomical and non logical. It is not mean - that i dont like the product - but want the improvements.

You have to realise that Photo is part of a suite of programs that share a common file format. You can move files between the three programs and edit files in each, So create a document in Publisher and edit it in Designer, etc. As I understand it.

Can you edit an InDesign file in Photoshop, or edit a Photoshop file in InDesign?

Although I don't know the features in Publisher or why some features exist as they do, this approach obviously means some things have to be changed in the way they work. You will just have to accept a few compromises in order to get the benefits from the overall publishing suite, or so I assume.

toltec, i familiar with Adobe PS since SC2 and with Corel since version 7 in early 90xx. I understand MODULES or editing modes, or PERSONA's - but your idea about

6 minutes ago, toltec said:

Can you edit an InDesign file in Photoshop, or edit a Photoshop file in InDesign?

is not applicable here - as i don't ask for editing some alien format or alien data inside AP - is not it? We talk about bitmap. Does it in container or not - it is bitmap and it is already inside AP. Since AP importing plugin understands and reads and accept some bitmap file - it is ready for manipulation inside the AP environment. Right? And here it place for this

11 minutes ago, toltec said:

some things have to be changed in the way they work

That is subject i am talking about :)

6 hours ago, Manofjesus said:

We talk about bitmap. Does it in container or not - it is bitmap and it is already inside AP.

Even though just like any other layer, an image layer is 'inside' an Affinity document, it maintains its own pixel resolution independently of the rest of the document. IOW, its pixels are mapped into the document separately from those of rasterized pixel layers, which are always mapped into the document at the 'native' pixel resolution of the document.

This means an image layer can be resized, rotated, or skewed without changing its map -- it will always have the same internal pixel dimensions (its height & width in pixels) regardless of those transformations. In that sense it is a single object.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 7/14/2018 at 11:27 PM, R C-R said:

..... it will always have the same internal pixel dimensions (its height & width in pixels) regardless of those transformations

Let this object be as it is - i am not arguing about such concept. This is not issue at all, i am start my question not about this. Forget other commands - only COPY and PASTE.  But the same or similar way it works in Photoshop - but in Photoshop i can copy a region from such non rasterized image layer with built in bitmap - that easy to check. There was no talk about transforming such layer. It is already projecting inner content to the dimension of my affinity working file. So my selection region, for example 200х100 pixels selecting exact region of that projection, the same content as i can see it in 100% percentage. If Affinity is projecting this bitmap information for me to see, already scaling it for my end resolution of my working file (the inner genuine resolution still can be different for sure) why not let me copy that region - no transformations just copy information that i see already in my working file? When you making screenshot of any information in your screen - it just copy, as it projected to your PC screen. I am talking about the same equivalent easy copy procedure.

48 minutes ago, Manofjesus said:

There was no talk about transforming such layer. It is already projecting inner content to the dimension of my affinity working file.

Nobody is saying the pixel dimensions of whatever you paste into your Affinity document are transformed in any way. The copy is simply 'projected,' if you want to think of it that way, onto that document without changing any of its content. So while you see Affinity scaling it, along with everything else in the document, to display it at whatever zoom level you choose, it is not actually being scaled to the end resolution of your working file, in exactly the same way changing the zoom level changes the scale of what you see but not the resolution of its content.

If that is what you want, use the rasterize command. That is what it is for -- to change the actual resolution of whatever you rasterize to that of your file.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7