You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity taking over photoshop on my desktop

when I use photoshop or any file work affinity takes over.....names my files with its signature.....brings up affinity photo when I am in Photoshop and locks me out of PS.  I have a bad time getting out of affinity....and when I go back to PS, affinity takes over again.  Corel had this kind of problem and could not solve it so I dumped the program.....any ideas ?

Welcome to affinity forums...

Which Operating System are you using?

Sounds like whatever files you are using such as .JPG, PSD, TIFF, PDF etc are associated with Affinity not with Photoshop. Take a screenshot of the file icons you are opening.

I doubt Affinity would lock you out of Photoshop, having both apps running at the same time on a low spec computer may hinder open times and also file sizes would also make a difference if they are large files. That said add your system spec i.e. ram, cpu etc

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

With PS running I have to open in PS camera raw, then when I open image into PS, AF opens with that image in it.  I have to cancell many times and Close out Af and I'm back at PS.  At no time did I open Af.  If I open another pic file in PS it again goes to Af.   I had that trouble with Corel which they could not fix.   On1 is sitting on my computer at the same time and it stays closed and out of the picture while the above is happening.

Sounds like your default files are screwed up, having one app do this I could consider the app at fault but having 2 apps doing a similar thing points to a system issue.

still don't know what Operating System you are using?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-all-file-associations-to-default-windows

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

51 minutes ago, Ted Nichols said:

Oh and when I am converting Sony AWR to Dsg, the result is  "Affinity file" and not Dsg.   Both PS and Af are closed at that time. So it's taking over any PS function.

Very frustrating 

Ted

Affinity hasn't taken over anything - as the most recently installed program it's been set as the default for image files.  The DSG files are the same as ever but you're seeing the AP logo by them.  Just right click on one of your images and select open with / choose another app.  Select the one you want and tick the "always use this" box.  The problem with Corel was exactly the same. 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10