You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On rulers, scale and decimal accuracy

Some suggestions for the technically inclined:

1. Scale - this would be so useful for the users who want to make use of designer for technical drawings. I know your artboards can be large (45m by my testing), but when the performance suffers and the grid is limited, scale is a requirement. Look at Graphic app - a good start. And reflecting scale numbering in your smart object indicators would be a huge win. 

2. Decimal point accuracy - this is in sore need. When all I can get is 1 number to the right of the decimal point (in many instances), this app is unusable. For years, Illustrator was only accurate to 2 decimals. It sucked. 3 is an absolute minimum, and 4 or 5 would get Designer out of the dark ages. 

3. Rulers - a small ask, but judging from the forum, repeated many times. It provides context. Again, tying the scaling to this would be a huge win. 

So much of this app is incredible out of the gate - your approach to tackling huge challenges in writing this for a tablet is truly impressive. Keep up the great work at Serif - all of you are setting the bar for a new era in app development. I, for one am a huge fan. 

Cheers,

j.

Decimal point accuracy - this is in sore need. When all I can get is 1 number to the right of the decimal point (in many instances), this app is unusable. For years, Illustrator was only accurate to 2 decimals. It sucked. 3 is an absolute minimum, and 4 or 5 would get Designer out of the dark ages.

Hi johnnydfred,

and welcome here … :)

Internally, all Affinity apps will use the full floating-point precision for processing numeric inputs, but the interface will only show you a limited number of decimal places. But you are not restricted to entering numbers with one decimal place only. Use the “calculator” flyout, if you need more precision. The interface will present you with a rounded version of your input, but the exact number you entered will be used for processing.

The desktop version allows you to select the number of decimal places for the interface. Hopefully, there will be a way to achieve something similar on the iPad in the future.

Alex :)

Edited by A_B_C
EDIT Sorry, I just noticed that you were talking about the iPad version.

• 8 months later...

It's difficult drafting without the use of decimal points. Thanks so much for pointing this out. I thought that I was doing something wrong on the iPad. This is difficult for people who design based off math and measurements. Decimals point accuracy on the iPad would really rock my world!

S:)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Update. Yeah thanks for the comraderie on this. Serif, if you are listening, moving to the iPad as my preferred platform is impossible if you don’t address this continued issue. When can we expect a response or estimate of when this can move to the top of your priority queue?

• 11 months later...

Hi there! I am just circling back with this question to the Affinity staff. Has there been any progress on showing decimals on iPad? I am not sure if I missed a new area in the set up to click. Thanks in advance as always!

2 hours ago, johnnydfred said:

@segts, as my request for this is now years-long, I can only assume that Serif does not actually monitor these forums with any desire to respond, but rather maintain them only for users to interact. Guess there’s always hope. 

I've had a request in for decimals while working in the iOS version of Affinity Designer for a while too. I totally get it but I do believe they are trying their best to address our concerns/needs. So far what they've done in a short time is amazing.

Many developers believe creating new features is sexier than refining what they have. I do believe this is where Affinity is different. They listened to a lot of what Publisher users needed and started incorporating improvements immediately. And with the sneak peak video they just released, it looks like they're still committed to improving performance. So I am hopeful that there are more refinements in the near future. My hope is that there will be big fixes for 2.0. I know three years is a long time to wait for something basic, but I am hopeful. We'll definitely have to celebrate when it all comes together! S:)