You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This picture, along with several others from a recent vacation has sun glare or it is over exposed on the left hand portion of the scene.  As a novice with Affinity Photo, I know it can be fixed but no matter how many different attempts to fix it I have failed.  I did not take the pictures but my daughter 'thinks' I can work miracles (ha, ha).  Is there a tutorial that deals with this specific problem?  Thank you.

Bob

IMG_1912.jpg

I don't know about miracles but you can improve things.

Apply a Levels adjustment layer, concentrating on getting the left hand side about correct. , Use the Gradient Tool on that Levels layer and drag a gradient from white on the left, to black on the right. That will apply a gradient fade on the Levels. Experiment with that.

park.jpg.73ed9bb38b6f586403718bfb59463fbe.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Toltec,

Thank you for the quick response.  That was one of the things I tried but my results were not as good as yours.  It gives me hope and I will try again, I must not have done something right.

Bob

Edit: I just tried again and got the results I was looking for. Thanks again.

Edited by BobMoyer

tried using Toltecs idea's

YNP dehazed.afphoto

1258323108_ScreenShot2018-07-13at22_20_57.thumb.png.9fd4b9194459a7ba0da83465f2bfd7cc.png

As far as I can see you'd have to take a hit with regard to detail in the sign.

For future reference if the camera will take it get a lens hood, or if its a compact use some card to try and block the sun flare, even your hand shading the lens would have helped. Changing position so the sun is more acute to your position will also help next time. Its all a learning curve and we've all been there. :)

There is a Haze Removal Filter but it doesn't work very well with this image and creates a mottled effect on the sign. There is also a filter called Frequency Separation that people use for various reasons including negating sun flare, there are a few tutorials for Affinity Photo:

Frequency Separation.webloc

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for your input and links. I had watched those videos previously but just couldn't achieve the results I wanted. After trying again, I managed to get acceptable results.  All of the pictures I received (to be cleaned up/fixed) were taken with various iPhone models. Seems like only the professionals carry 'real' cameras anymore ;-).

Bob