You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Designer] Help online or as PDF/EBook?

52 minutes ago, MikeW said:

The content likely exists in a more common format. I cannot imagine authoring from start to finish in a multi-person production environment otherwise. But hey, what do I know. 

Just curious but what common format(s) do you think would support authoring in multiple languages without incurring a lot of messy extra work to incorporate it directly into iOS apps? From what I can tell (which admittedly is not that much) Apple's developer tools provide ways to streamline that process, but I have no idea if something else would do that any better or worse.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There are HATs that can be single source, output to several formats including iOS help. Which can be used by one or more people in an authoring environment. 

I have no idea of the processes or tools Serif uses. So all this speculation is moot.

10 minutes ago, MikeW said:

There are HATs that can be single source, output to several formats including iOS help.

OK, but not to be a pest about it, can you point me in the direction of one that you know actually does that? I ask because I tried a few web searches but all I could find that mentioned iOS at all were ones that seem to say they support outputting to formats that iOS apps can read (like PDF) but none that explicitly say they output anything that can just be dropped directly into an iOS app at compile time.

40 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I have no idea of the processes or tools Serif uses. So all this speculation is moot.

Moot as far as what Serif uses for sure, but maybe not for what users might want to try for creating sharable PDF's & such?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 10:40 AM, DM1 said:

I'm in the process of building a PDF version of Help, for my own use, and provided the guys at Serif have no objections, I would be happy to share the file with members here. Having to exit the project to research then go back into project is a pain (especially with my memory!).

Hey DM1. Sorry to ask, I’m sure you are busy with work and life but if you are still creating that PDF it would be awesome if you can share it as you suggested. Could you please put me on your ‘list’ of interested parties for the PDF. 

Thanks so much. 

@Anthonyricco PDF file is finished. B|  Only drawback is that it’s only in English language.

I personally find the ability to access and read the Help file as a 'book' with working links, makes it so much easier to follow. The ability to access the Help file while working on a document in Designer is also very helpful. 

As the material is copyright to Serif I have asked Sean (a forum moderator) whether it will be ok to post a link to the PDF file. The head of 'Documents' is on leave for 2 weeks so I am waiting to see if I get the ok on his return. 

I hope Serif will allow it to be distributed to owners of Designer for IPad,at least until they produce an alternative solution for users........ anyway, we should know shortly.

Teaser sample page.

64C8F2F8-36FD-47D0-A610-63C80F51FB03.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

16 hours ago, DM1 said:

@Anthonyricco PDF file is finished. B|  Only drawback is that it’s only in English language.

I personally find the ability to access and read the Help file as a 'book' with working links, makes it so much easier to follow. The ability to access the Help file while working on a document in Designer is also very helpful. 

As the material is copyright to Serif I have asked Sean (a forum moderator) whether it will be ok to post a link to the PDF file. The head of 'Documents' is on leave for 2 weeks so I am waiting to see if I get the ok on his return. 

I hope Serif will allow it to be distributed to owners of Designer for IPad,at least until they produce an alternative solution for users........ anyway, we should know shortly.

Teaser sample page.

64C8F2F8-36FD-47D0-A610-63C80F51FB03.png

Ah man DM1 - you are an absolute legend. That looks amazing. I think you’ve done more than your share of work on an English version, so that’s perfect.

Come on Mods, we need this resource ASAP,  please get back to DM1 as soon as possible.

• 1 year later...

Well, it is now possible to use software to read the app sandbox on the iPad, where you can find the Help files for the Affinity apps. Or anything else for that matter. However, extracting them and condensing into a useable document is a mission I decided not to accept. Mission Impossible you might say. I started to do it, but in the end, was it worth it? I gave it up. They are in a rather strange - ios specific format.

When you consider that Serif must have that document floating about already, what would it take to release it as at least a PDF, or another overpriced book?

Have a look here. Could be useful

https://imazing.com

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration