You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer: Symbol for Navigation & Text

Hi,
maybe I have overlooked the documentation or not found the particular video for this.

I'am looking for the right way to work with AD Symbols for Navigation UX-Design.
Does anybody know a tutorial, video or documentation-link so at the end I have the Symbol «menu-item-passiv». And this is one of 5-8 items in the Menu. Within every one I have to change the text, but still sync the color of the text, the width of the button, ... Only the text has to be different.
I tried to use

1. the «create» button on symbol-panel to create a Symbol from the original text.
2. renabed the symbol to »menu_item-passiv».
3. Drag&drop the symbol to the canvas for second menu-item.
4. press «Sync» button in top-right corner of symbol-panel, it changed to grey.
5. Change Text to second Navi-Name.
6. Press «Sync» button again -> change to dark.

But unfortunately, with this and a bit different approach, if I select the first «menu-item» and change the color, the second «menu-item» still has the original color.
What I did or understood wrong? What would be the right way to use symbols for Menu-item in UX?

Thank you for help
Kind regards
Martin

• Staff

Hi mad99,

See the very basic example file attached. 

These are the steps i took:

Create the 1st menu item and create a Symbol from it

Now drag the newly created Symbol so it's next to the 1st one

On your Layers tab, open up the Symbol group for the 2nd item, and on the Symbols Studio click on Sync to disable syncing for now.  Now change the text and then re-enable Synching. Do this for each menu item and once complete selecting the Symbol layer in the Layer studio and you'll be able change colour ect.  

Please also see this tutorial which covers using Symbols :) 

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

See the very basic example file attached.

Hey stokerg,
thank you for help and link.
The linked tut I looked 3 times before I post the topic. Also 4 other videos. But unfortunately it works fine with all the examples, but there is no hint or work-around- or do-it-the-right-way-example for use with symbols for menu-items with unSync + reSync the text-part, where only the text should change and the color, shadow, background, ... should stay synced for later layout-change.

Maybe your attachment would help! But to be honest, I can't see any attachment in this topic.
Do I have to look somewhere else or do something to activate the visibility of attached files?

Would be great to have your very basic example to find the knot in my brain and got a way to untie it.
Regards
Martin