You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto-close pencil lines

Honestly, I don’t even think the devs read these forums. People have been complaining about not having this function for years and no one seems to give a crap. It’s very disappointing. Affinity, in many ways, works better for me than Illustrator, but in other ways, it’s just too unwieldy for an efficient tool.

5 minutes ago, Bianca Esteban said:

Honestly, I don’t even think the devs read these forums. People have been complaining about not having this function for years and no one seems to give a crap. It’s very disappointing. Affinity, in many ways, works better for me than Illustrator, but in other ways, it’s just too unwieldy for an efficient tool.

I couldn't have said it better myself! I keep trying to only use AD as my main vector tool but there are still a lot of basic things like proper stroke width tool and others than makes me keep jumping to Illustrator again and again.

It's like they keep adding these useless features and ignore basic functions of a productive vector tool.

How can professionals do the switch when their workflow suffers and time is wasted using all kinds of workarounds to get things done?

Check out my awesome Affinity Creations!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes absolutely!!! also with the pentool please!!
This is so weird to have to leave your shape to go to that difficult-to-read little menu with a thousand options while we just need to close the path we just sarted to draw.

Very weird indeed. We should get an option when coming close to the first node of the selected shape to close the goddammed shape. (sorry, it stresses me)

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

wow, Serif better catch up... I find myself using Adobe Illustrator more and more these days on my iPad. Please make this feature available.

On a different note (sorry if this is off topic), I hope they also match the grid repeat feature available on the new Adobe Illustrator on the iPad.

I must admit adobe kinda knocked it out the park with the mobile version of illustrator. I love the way all the most common functions appear beneath the selected items. It makes it so much easier than rooting around in various panels and sub panels, and yes of course auto closing lines, why would you not ;) 
I think this was Adobe saying ‘we see what you are doing Serif’ and we raise you :) I look forward to seeing how the guys at serif respond. A little healthy competition is good for everyone.

1 hour ago, Macmonkey said:

I must admit adobe kinda knocked it out the park with the mobile version of illustrator. I love the way all the most common functions appear beneath the selected items. It makes it so much easier than rooting around in various panels and sub panels, and yes of course auto closing lines, why would you not ;) 
I think this was Adobe saying ‘we see what you are doing Serif’ and we raise you :) I look forward to seeing how the guys at serif respond. A little healthy competition is good for everyone.

Yes, yes and yes... Adobe has raised the bar with the Illustrator for the iPad. I'm really curios to see how Serif will respond. The iPad version of Designer has been pretty stale in the last year or so.

Check out my awesome Affinity Creations!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been an Affinity Photo fan/user for years and just got Affinity Designer for the iPad.  

I had been having trouble ending both pen and pencil strokes until I found ben designs on YouTube. In very short videos all was explained concisely, and in easily learnable terms.   (Very much like James Ritson does in his tutorials.)

Pen Tool

Pencil Tool

Node Tool

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/13/2018 at 6:21 AM, Macmonkey said:

Hey there,

Congratulations on the release of designer iOS it’s awesome!

just wondering whether it would be possible to include an option to auto-close pencil strokes, rather than drawing a shape and then having to close the Shape manually, it would be a real time-saver.

cheers

dave

I don't have an iPad, but I click on the Add boolean operation and it closes the shape.

Best regards!