You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto-close pencil lines

I would also like to see this happen. Not everyone uses the Pencil tool only with outlined shapes, some of us use it to create filled shapes and as it works currently it's next to useless because it does not properly resolve the closing bit of the shape. It would also be great if when the fill is selected the actual fill is not displayed while drawing. Some control of smoothing/node numbers would also be a welcome addition.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 11:16 PM, zzelenika said:

I would also like to see this happen. Not everyone uses the Pencil tool only with outlined shapes, some of us use it to create filled shapes and as it works currently it's next to useless because it does not properly resolve the closing bit of the shape. It would also be great if when the fill is selected the actual fill is not displayed while drawing. Some control of smoothing/node numbers would also be a welcome addition.

Yes, yes, yes 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Than you sculpting with a pencil, where must be an option to close the shape than we draw over to the starting node again.

Seriously I am trying to make closed shapes with pencil in sculpt mode and rope stabilizer and it just does not work good enough because than I draw to starting point again there is always some kind of crossing between start and end of curve, than I need to switch to node tool and drag end node on top of start node and that actually will spoil the curvature than I need to correct it and than switch back to the pencil mode - this is not good workflow.

I expect from  sculpting mode that start and end point will be merged together because I intentionally draw end point on top of start point (or even better there should be context toggle modifier button thich will allow to merge end and start node if they were drawn close to each other).

This behaviour I would call controllable merging of end and start point (with preservation of curvature) in oppose of auto closing curve (because auto closing will produce curve change - the new line segment will be created).

2) We also need separate auto close context toggle modifier button.

Than both modifiers are active («merge start with end» and «close») if distance between start and end is small merge modifier should take priority else just close the curve.

We absolution need these feuthers for closed shape drawing.

20190215_082248.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

+1 This would be a game changer! I am getting used to the software, and the two things I already love the most is how fluid it is to draw filled shapes with the pencil and stabilizers; and the integration with pixel drawing which allows you to quickly shade the object with textures. But the fact that you can't close the shapes directly in the first stroke, really takes away from the drawing experience.

Hope we can see this implemented soon! I suppose this feature would be somewhat easy to add, right?

As you can see in the picture the path does not close with the first stroke. Even if you try to make the ends really close to each other.

Cheers!

Screenshot_381.png

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Hicksdesign said:

Cristian - to get that, all you need to do is check the 'Use Fill' option on the context toolbar.

Still hoping that auto-close is on the roadmap for 1.7…

Thanks for the tip Hick! I was using the Brush tool where there's no Use Fill option.

And yeah, hope to see the auto-close path in the upcoming releases.

Check out my awesome Affinity Creations!

4 minutes ago, TextusGames said:

So no official news about this? 

Serif generally does not comment on feature requests. They track them, and may factor them into their development plans, but usually the only "news" will occur if a new beta release appears with the function included.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Serif generally does not comment on feature requests. They track them, and may factor them into their development plans, but usually the only "news" will occur if a new beta release appears with the function included.

Thanks.

We will just hope then.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...