You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Path Text not properly shown on iPad

hi there!

i love AD on my iPad Pro and am surprised by all the features that are crammed into it;

there is one issue that needs to be resolved imo:
1. made a design on AD on iMac
2. saved it to Dropbox
3. opened it on iPad Pro

but the result on iPad is not the same as on the desktop, see attachments;
the circular text is placed differently (beginning and ending point)183455167_affinitydesktop.jpg.50951873aaab2fe43042758eba5236a5.jpg and does not seem to fit on the iPad 

affinity ipad.png

imac 27", macOS high sierra, ipad pro, affinity designer and photo on both desktop and ipad, lots of adobe stuff, not used since the arrival of affinity B|

now i see that the font is different!

could it be that this problem is caused by the fact that the iPad can not handle the used font (PT serif)?

imac 27", macOS high sierra, ipad pro, affinity designer and photo on both desktop and ipad, lots of adobe stuff, not used since the arrival of affinity B|

Fonts are not embedded in Affinity documents, so you need to install the missing font. You can do this quite easily via ‘Preferences > Fonts’ if you have a copy of the font available on cloud storage; alternatively, go to the PT Serif page on the Font Squirrel website, press the ‘Install on iPad’ button and work through the installation steps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Cezi,

Just to echo what Alfred has said. The font is not installed, so it is falling back to a different font. Installing it via Preferences > Fonts should sort that out for you :)

EDIT: I'm moving this to Questions to aid any other users who might have a similar issue.

guys, thanks for the extremely quick and adequate replies!

never installed additional fonts on my ipad but will give it a try, using your instructions!

18 minutes ago, cezi said:

never installed additional fonts on my ipad but will give it a try, using your instructions!

The ‘Preferences > Fonts’ route in AD or APh only installs the font for use in that app. The ‘Install on iPad’ option offered by Font Squirrel creates a configuration profile, making the font available to any app (but you’ll need to restart AD to make the newly installed font show up there).

If you want to install a large number of fonts, treat yourself to a copy of AnyFont by Florian Schimanke.

Alfred spacer.png

ok, just got AnyFont!

there are several routes to install fonts, i read, will iTunes sharing be the simplest/fastest to use?

the route route seems to be: sending yourself an e-mail with the font

EDIT: also bought the fonts bundle for AnyFont, which contains PT serif; only 99 cents :-)
now, if i want to use a font i need to select it in AnyFont and install it;
then restart AD and voila; i did it this way and it worked ok, just wondering if this is the cleverest approach;
for a moment i thought that, by installing AnyFont, all these fonts would be available right away but it turned out you still have to install them within AnyFont; unless i am doing something stupid!

Edited by cezi
more info

For PT Serif, the simplest/fastest way is to use the ‘Install on iPad’ option on the Font Squirrel page. For a more general solution I tend to use cloud storage (Box, Dropbox or iCloud) to share files between devices; since you have a Mac, iTunes sharing might be a better option for you than email, but email would also work OK.

Alfred spacer.png

i tried to find the PT font in my iMac system (system/library/fonts) but it was not there; could this be because it's a google font?

I don’t think PT fonts are included with OS X or macOS. Go to the PT Serif page on Font Squirrel and install the font from there. (In case you’re interested, they also offer PT Sans and PT Mono.)

Alfred spacer.png

the PT font was in the 1000+ fonts bundle i got thru itunes :-)

1 hour ago, cezi said:

EDIT: also bought the fonts bundle for AnyFont, which contains PT serif; only 99 cents :-)

For only 99 pennies I was tempted, too, but since I already have thousands of fonts I wasn’t sure if I needed a thousand more, and I couldn’t find a list of the fonts included in the package. I don’t think it’s worth my while if they’re all freely available from elsewhere.

now, if i want to use a font i need to select it in AnyFont and install it;
then restart AD and voila; i did it this way and it worked ok, just wondering if this is the cleverest approach;
for a moment i thought that, by installing AnyFont, all these fonts would be available right away but it turned out you still have to install them within AnyFont; unless i am doing something stupid!

You can install multiple fonts via a single configuration profile. Tap on the check mark at the top of the AnyFont window to display checkboxes allowing you to choose which fonts to group together.

20 minutes ago, Sean P said:

We would advise you just install the font using Preferences > Fonts and select it from there for simplicity and also because using other third party font software has not been tested by us.

That’s fine if you only want to use them in AD, Sean, but installing a configuration profile allows you to use the fonts in any app.

You can download PT Serif on its own from Google Fonts here:

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/PT+Serif

As per my earlier posts, you can install the font via a configuration profile from the Font Squirrel page. However, you also have the option of a direct download from there.

Alfred spacer.png

weird:

the pt serif font is now visible in the AD document and looks good; within that same document i can add new text using pt serif;
if i go to another document to add text pt serif is no longer an available font, it simply does not show up in the list of fonts!
it seems that pt serif is constrained to only that document that was initially produced in AD desktop and from there via dropbox transported to ipad;

i also tried the suggested route of fontsquirrel: i can find pt serif there but do not see an option to 'install on ipad' as suggested, only the download option

i also tried the suggested route of fontsquirrel: i can find pt serif there but do not see an option to 'install on ipad' as suggested, only the download option

That’s very odd! I’ve tried it in three different browsers here (Safari, Opera Mini, and iCab Mobile) and I see it in all of them.

B6FBB984-52B0-4024-A6BA-D5661FE55E7D.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

switched from chrome to safari: same story, no ipad install option...

fontsquirrel.jpeg

when i go to settings/general/profile on my ipad pro there is only one item: PT_Serif-Web-Regular.ttf
signed by: not signed

is this normal?
is there way to see all the other installed fonts on the ipad?

switched from chrome to safari: same story, no ipad install option...

Thanks for the screenshot. You need to tap on the font sample in the search results: the ‘Install on iPad’ button isn’t displayed in the search results listing itself.

6 minutes ago, cezi said:

when i go to settings/general/profile on my ipad pro there is only one item: PT_Serif-Web-Regular.ttf
signed by: not signed

is this normal?
is there way to see all the other installed fonts on the ipad?

I think that’s normal. I only see the configuration profiles for fonts that I’ve chosen to install.

To see all of your installed fonts, tap on the ‘Already installed fonts’ link at the bottom of the AnyFont window.

Alfred spacer.png

wow, that was not very obvious to me!

but tapping helped and now i installed the font thru fontsquirrel (after deleting it first in system/settings)

in AD on ipad the font is still not available in a new document;

another 'new' experience: if i go to preferences in AD on the ipad and select Fonts i get an empty black screen?!
why are the fonts that AD uses not visible here?
there is a cloud button and a trash can button, i think the cloud button is supposed to pick up fonts from outside AD?
if i click this button however i get a ton of suggested documents on drive, dropbox etc.; no idea how to pull a font out of here,
i have been a imac/ipad user from the beginning but never felt like a stranger like this before :-(

finally got it!

downloaded the font from fontsquirrel, put it in dropbox (after unzipping), went to AD preferences Fonts, choose the cloud icon, went to dropbox, selected the desired fonts, went back to AD, closed the app, reopened it and voila, in preferences/fonts the new fonts are visible (appearently here are only the the imported fonts shown, why?); started a new document in AD and the new fonts are there to use!

thanks for the help; now let’s see how nadal is doing...:-)

alfred,

off topic, very nice font you are using for your name!
home made?
am surprised that my browser shows it this way,  so it might be a 'standard' typeface, recognized by browsers;

EDIT never mind, just noticed that you have been creative with your keyboard, funny!