You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: No tracing images to vector graphics?

Sorry, there is no auto tracing option at the moment. there are plenty of apps with tracing capabilities that you could use and then open in Affinity Designer, I know thats not what you want to hear but its the only workaround available at the moment.

What Operating System are you using?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi, bartl,

The Affinity team is still working hard on more basic features. They have said that if they can come up w. something better than what is already available, they  will implement it. This question comes up a lot. Some people use free online tracing sites. Myself, I sometimes use Inkscape, which is quite good, but complex. (Note, the engine behind Inkscape and other apps is the open source potrace, which took 16 years to reach its current capability.)  I also use a purchase utility that cost $6, which is remarkably easy to use. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

10 minutes ago, owenr said:

I think the majority of users who request this feature would be happy with something that is not necessarily better than all others, but which is conveniently in the Affinity apps.

Why?  If it's not better than the stuff you can get for free/cheap then don't bother adding it.

We already have sub-optimal, Macros, Batch Processing, Cropping, Saving (for web) so let's not start adding more stuff just for the sake of it.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

image-vectorizer

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/image-vectorizer/id789656124?mt=12 

I use this all the time it's ACE!

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Ok, thank you guys for all the infos. I do agree with owenr though, one the possibilities already existing out there implemented in Designer would be fine. But I will test all the other possibilities named above, great, THX!

10 hours ago, owenr said:

I'd much rather have the broken and half-baked features fixed than see vectorising added, but wanted to make the point that vectorising could be usefully added without it being the greatest vectoriser ever created. 

Agreed, so why waste the limited developer time available creating a vectoriser that is no better than what is already available.

Fixing the "broken and half-baked" existing features should take priority over adding a vectoriser just so it is accessible from within the program.

Once that is done they can then spend the time creating a vectoriser which outperforms all other vectorisers currently out there.

If Affinity's goal is to become the number one choice for professional users it can't keep adding lacklustre important features that perform the same or worse than existing options found in other programs.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

They would have to seriously up their game to compete with the likes of Vector Magic, personally I'm not a fan of the results for a lot of raster image converted to vector, I sometimes use a vectorised image to use as a guide for manually vectorising an image but I don't generally use the result from a vectorising app. As much as it might be a nice feature to have, I would say forget tracing for now and inject some logic into existing features, Affinity have to nail this down now else they will have nothing but problems later on, I'd rather wait another year if it meant Affinity's features worked as they should.

There is a post now that is asking about distribution of objects, distribution just doesn't work properly and its so frustrating, but the problem actually starts with the Power Duplicate feature and if that worked correctly the distribution part would be unnecessary anyway. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions