You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer focus on web design

You should give more precise exemples to what features you would love to see added.

I am an interface designer and work mainly on web applications and site designs and right now I found everything that I really need to fulfil my needs :

1. Multiple artboards allows you to layout multiple pages or layout one page for multiple devices.
  2. Global colors and symbols allows you to easily apply changes easily.
  3. Constraints allows you to mimic simple responsive design and combined with symbols can be really powerful.
  4. Pixel snapping allows you to always be perfect and the pixel preview allows you to easily check it.
  5. Finally the export persona is really well thought. My only grievance is that some file formats should be more optimised when a “web” profile is selected.

What would you need to work more efficiently ?

I'm also evaluating Designer for web design and the first thing I came up against is grids. As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be a way to easily set up a grid like you can in sketch (ie. of a with a maximum width and centred) are there any work arounds for this? I've found some templates for grids but they have the columns drawn on layers which you cannot easily turn on and off.

30 minutes ago, Bob - Murder said:

Please, lets out Publisher :61_sob: i'm looking forward to use it 

We are all waiting for it but publishing a half baked software wouldn’t help anyone.

The beta is coming in about a month and if it is like the other 2 Affinity public betas, you will be able to use it "carefully" in production right from day one. 

Affinity Designer is more of an app that's comparable Adobe Illustrator. Even though you can do great UX/UI design with it, you don't get the common web functionality like bootstrap grid layouts and prototyping with transitions that most UI designers are looking for. It would be amazing to see Affinity come out with a product similar to Sketch/Invision Studio/XD for web designers. More simplified and functionality more geared for web designers. Either way, I think you can still design a great web/app interface using Affinity Designer. I love that Affinity Designer is available on the iPad. I can go and get things done without the use of my work laptop. 

On 7/13/2018 at 6:14 PM, fdelaneau said:

You should give more precise exemples to what features you would love to see added.

I am an interface designer and work mainly on web applications and site designs and right now I found everything that I really need to fulfil my needs :

1. Multiple artboards allows you to layout multiple pages or layout one page for multiple devices.
  2. Global colors and symbols allows you to easily apply changes easily.
  3. Constraints allows you to mimic simple responsive design and combined with symbols can be really powerful.
  4. Pixel snapping allows you to always be perfect and the pixel preview allows you to easily check it.
  5. Finally the export persona is really well thought. My only grievance is that some file formats should be more optimised when a “web” profile is selected.

What would you need to work more efficiently ?

6. spec tools

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I'm just starting out on web development, and I thought I'd use Affinity Designer for the web-design part. But after seeing the comments on this page, I'm no longer sure whether that would be a good choice. So, I'd like to ask you guys, has the grid thing you mentioned already been implemented? Also, would you recommend this software for web design?

Best Regards

Hi @rigamonte, since posting this I just went ahead and tried using designer to design a website and will say it was a pretty smooth experience. The main issue I had was with grids, but I simply just used a pre-generated jpg and locked the layer to the back. My daily driver is still Figma, but you can get a lot done with designer and will be good enough if design isn't your main role.