You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request: Auto save and feedback

First of all I would like to thank you for Affinity Designer on the iPad. It's the thing I've been missing from the iPad for a long time, and it seems really great.

After using it I have one request, which is something that bugs me with every iPad app that doesn't do it: auto save by default.

It feel really bad on the iPad to use apps where you actually have to explicitly save the documents, specially when using iCloud Drive.

My expectation whenever I put a document on iCloud Drive and change it on the application is that the content will automatically go to the file, specially when it's an app that exists on the Mac and the iPad.

From what I've saw I'm not sure but it seems like Designer won't auto save to iCloud Drive; I have a document right now with changes that do not show up on my Mac.

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2018 at 3:02 AM, amatheus said:

From what I've saw I'm not sure but it seems like Designer won't auto save to iCloud Drive; I have a document right now with changes that do not show up on my Mac.

No, The auto save function only saves the current files changes to the apps sandbox copy. Also if you exit to home screen it autosaves to sandboxed copy so the changes will be there when you reopen the file.

Only when you Save from the Home/project screen menu will the sandboxed changes be applied back to the 'original file.

If you chose 'open from Cloud', rather than import... the saved file will update the changes to the cloud file, or if you have defaulted to 'Save to iCloud.

I guess this way you don't commit any edits or  changes until you choose to do so, but still retain the safety of auto backup of changes and edits.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/