You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows 10 with iPad features and UI adoption

I have tried Affinity Design today with my Surface Pro 4 and it is really good, but I feel the same like other people here. The Surface Pen is almost useless on the Surface Pro and the touch interface is buggy. You cannot use your menus with your finger, just the pen, you cannot rotate the canvas and there is no way to undo in a easy way. Even the color selector is not working with the pen (I have read it is fixed in the non trial version). And also the mouse rightclick is not working with the Pen input so you cannot show the context menu from the pen. There is a huge lack of real Pen compatible apps on the Windows Market. Since 2 years ago I bought the Surface pro 4, I really want a good Pen experience as I had with Wacom to fill my expectations. It could not be possible I bought this tablet thinking about an all-in-one solution to forget Wacom tablets, but it only work good with windows apps like One Note, but not professional grade apps like yours. Please give us the reason to worth our Surface Pro Tablets Microsoft couldn't give us with an empty app market, 5 Surface generations later since first Surface pro.

Thanks you for your awesome work.

Inspired by the Affinity Designer I tried to do some vector work with the Adobe Illustrator. 

Pro:
- Adobe Illustrator has a great lightweight touch mode
- Integrated Surface Dial function

Con:
- No Artboard rotation
- I'm not able to use my pen as an eraser... 
- Feels here and there a bit buggy 

I think Affinity has a lot of potential on Windows 10. This could be kind of a disruptive innovation.

The Surface Line is a versatile creative dream, but we also need tools to support it,
and Adobe did a bad job to do so in the last years. Here we have now a lot of potentials for a newcomer to grab market share. 

I agree -- it would be great if at least some of the iPad interface's features could be translated as options for the desktop version, e.g., the popup item properties panel along the bottom to make it easier to make some common adjustments with a graphics-tablet stylus (even without a touchscreen).  

But I should mention that as a completely new user I'm delighted with the features I have been discovering and the ergonomic design decisions that have already been implemented. This (desktop) app puts a smile on my face.

Also, I have never owned an iProduct in my life, but your apps are tipping the balance ...  I'm waiting to see if iPad Pro 3 comes out in a couple of months.  Apple should probably pay you a commission ;-)

• 1 month later...

I also agree with this, was using AD on my surface pro and thought the interface was not 100% touch friendly, I convinced my GF to swap over from Photoshop to affinity on her IPAD pro 12.9. Once she got it and seen her using the IPAD interface all I could think was man that UI would be great on the surface pro when using it in tablet mode with the pen and touch.

• 4 weeks later...

100% agree! The lack of hand gesture capability on Windows 10 is really putting me in a tough position of leaning towards purchasing an iPad Pro vs. a Microsoft surface book. If it had an easier way to undo through touch commands I would immediately go for the surface book...but here I am stuck inbetween. 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, policarpo said:

We need canvas rotation. Not having it is like owning a a Ferrari you can only drive in a straight line ;^)

To rotate the canvas:

•From the View menu, select Rotate Left or Rotate Right. The canvas will be rotated in 15 degree increments.

From the same menu, select Reset Rotation to reset the canvas back to its original rotation.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 3 weeks later...

+1. Was looking at the iPad pro, but with the restrictions of iOS  with the laptop-level pricing the surface pro seems like a better bet. I've used AP/AD on my old surface and its easier than PS but still clunky, a killer PC version with a dedicated mode for touch would be an attractive option, even as a paid add-on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Drawing Tablet with screen has much more useful apps for an illustrator or graphic designer than an iPad. It's running Windows so you can use the full versions of Adobe CC and other professional Applications. Not just some dumbed down doodling apps.

You can use the pen display tablet companion either connected to your Mac or PC as a screen & drawing tablet or standalone running Windows. You can't connect the iPad to a Mac or PC, you are limited to what iOS can do. you only get a much more limited device.

I have the 11.6" XP-Pen Artist 12 Drawing Tablet Monitor . That is just the screen without a computer. Personally I wouldn't even trade that for an iPad.

Hello .. Do you think one day if there will be an update to have the shortcuts gestures as on iPad for the Windows version .. Because in tablet mode it's just very frustrating to be forced to open the virtual keyboard to make a keyboard shortcut which makes the software painful to use. Imagine all the tablet computers that could benefit. 

Now it's usless to use Affinity designer in tablet mode .

Sorry for my English ( Google translate)

• 6 months later...

I'm going to bump this topic with my +1

I've recently tried the iPad version of Affinity Designer and the touch interaction is much better! I disagree with bringing the whole iPad UI to the desktop, mostly because there's some key features missing in the iPad (global colours, swatches on layer styles...), but I do agree in bringing the Windows touch interaction to the iPad level.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Also Bump~

I own a Surface, but the lack of good software with proper touch support is ... well, guess everyone jumps on the iPad wagon now.

They could sell it as addon, or sell the toned down version seperatly for touchdevice users.

iPad exclusivity is so annoying...