You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for ipad power duplicate

• Staff

Hi mshustov,

It doesn't have it's own gesture and is only available from the Edit menu drop down. You can place 2 fingers on the screen and drag the shape/object which will give you another copy of it BUT this is just a standard duplicate action and not a power duplicate.

3 hours ago, mshustov said:

Hello guys. You really suprised me with this great announce. thanks!

My questions is: does AD have power duplicate shortcut? Like when you change font size with your finger on the right bar? Or you only can do this with top bar - duplicate?

sorry for my english, I try my best.

A quick way to duplicate an item is to press two fingers on the screen, then drag the item, or you can use the edit menu. To power duplicate you just keep going to the edit menu and pressing duplicate. There is no shortcut. You can duplicate an item, rotate it, resize it etc and Designer applies those changes as it duplicates.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/ipad/#/video/272729523

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:58 AM, toltec said:

There is no shortcut.

But I think we all can agree that there should be, right? The only question is how best to do it. If we could (mostly) agree on that, it would make for a more compelling feature request.

I was hoping that at the least CMD+J would be supported for Bluetooth & (for the pro models) directly connected ones, but no such luck, at least for my Anker BT one. That would be a start but something more universal & built in really is needed. I thought about a dedicated Power Duplicate Tool on the toolbar but that would make the toolbar too crowded for smaller screens, so maybe an additional panel on the Move Tool's context menu, possibly one that only appears when Power Duplicate is possible right after duplicating an object, with a number value dial to set the number of duplicates?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
50 minutes ago, Josie said:

Is there a way to power duplicate on the iPad and if so how do I do that for a repeating pattern?

As noted above, in the iPad versions of the Affinity apps there is currently no ‘Power Duplicate’ shortcut. You just have to keep selecting the ‘Duplicate’ menu command.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That should be a feature to put in the iPad version to make it easier for designers to design, because to keep hitting the duplicate button is very time consuming and takes a long time to do especially if your wanting to get things done in a timely manner or deadline.

You also should have a feature along with the copy feature that when you copy an object you could multiply that by however many numbers you want to copy as well so it’s not so time consuming. Just for future reference to make it easier when designing using the ipad.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, Josie said:

That should be a feature to put in the iPad version to make it easier for designers to design, because to keep hitting the duplicate button is very time consuming and takes a long time to do especially if your wanting to get things done in a timely manner or deadline.

Cmd+J will work if you have a keyboard, Josie. (At least, it does with the Magic Keyboard.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, Josie said:

You also should have a feature along with the copy feature that when you copy an object you could multiply that by however many numbers you want to copy as well so it’s not so time consuming. Just for future reference to make it easier when designing using the ipad.

Thanks

If you want to make suggestions for program changes, you need to make them in the right spot. For the iPad apps:

Feedback for Affinity Photo on iPad

Feedback for Affinity Designer on iPad

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1