You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm thinking of ditching my subscription to LR/PS/Adobe Portfolio. It's costing me $14AUD/month, and whilst I am generally happy with the products I do see myself moving towards more subscription services that will hike my overall monthly expenses and I'm looking to cut back where I can.

My editing process see's me first use Faststone Image Viewer, I use this to actually do the first wave of culling. After that it's LR to do basic editing (Exposure, Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Cropping, Spot (Dust) Removal etc. The real magic starts when I then choose 'Edit In' and select PS, from here I use a variety of Topaz Plugins that really assist my work, I choose to ignore the masking ability from within the Topaz Plugins (mostly), and instead apply the effects and mask back in PS. I don't know why but on my machine specs the brushing and masking is more fluid in PS than the Topaz Plugins directly.

I thought I would be tied to Adobe forever because of the Topaz plugins (I adore), but I have just seen that Affinity Photo is also associated with Topaz? Can it be true?! Can you launch Topaz Plugins from within Affinity Photo?!

I'd test it out however my trial has expired long ago, and at the time I wasn't aware of its relationship with Topaz etc (I kinda installed it, kids, work and fam commitments got in the way and I forgot about it).
I'm also curious to know the extend of power/features that Affinity has, can you for example also do 'layers' and 'masking' akin to Photoshop?

I'm excited that perhaps I have found my Adobe substitute!

Can anyone weigh in and give me some feedback on those questions raised?

Cheers,

Bruce

Welcome to the Affinity forums, What Operating System are you using?

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/plugins-support/

In the windows versions it looks like you're good to go, if on Mac then its very hit and miss.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums, What Operating System are you using?

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/plugins-support/

In the windows versions it looks like you're good to go, if on Mac then its very hit and miss.

Windows 10 :)

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

They all work for me on Windows except Topaz Remask.

John

Good to know. The specific plugins I use are Clean3, Adjust5, Clarity and Black & White.

Is there any way to contact Affinity to see if I could get a second trial, even just 1 day, just so I can test all this out? I really regret now installing and forgetting the trial! I'm not even sure I booted the program up once lol.

It looks like it doesn't quite support the plugins per se, but rather Studio (that should have the plugins anyway);

https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001129351-Accessing-Topaz-in-Affinity-Photo

I have actually stayed away from Topaz Studio, so I would really like to see how this actually all works etc. Typically in PS I edit in the stand alone plugin from Topaz, I wonder if I lose or gain anything by being forced towards Topaz Studio instead o.O

Hello,

I'm new to this, and struggling.  I can see myself using some more sophisticated tools in the future but, for now, I'm still trying to complete the cycle from camera to print.  I've managed to get from camera to screen and have an image I like.  I have also done paper/printer calibration (Cannon PRO-100) and use the soft-proofing in Photo.  Where I am now having the most trouble is in managing to "nudge" the screen image in a way that makes the best use of the available printer/paper gamut that is, surely, captured within the ICC profile I have just created with the calibration tools I use (Datacolor).  Eizo have their Quick Color Match to help with this.  It works with their monitors and Canon software and the PRO-100 - but only as a Photoshop plugin.

Does anyone know of a similar way to do this within Photo and using a monitor other than an Eizo one?:

With thanks,

Robin

6 hours ago, RobinMcL said:

Hello,

I'm new to this, and struggling.  I can see myself using some more sophisticated tools in the future but, for now, I'm still trying to complete the cycle from camera to print.  I've managed to get from camera to screen and have an image I like.  I have also done paper/printer calibration (Cannon PRO-100) and use the soft-proofing in Photo.  Where I am now having the most trouble is in managing to "nudge" the screen image in a way that makes the best use of the available printer/paper gamut that is, surely, captured within the ICC profile I have just created with the calibration tools I use (Datacolor).  Eizo have their Quick Color Match to help with this.  It works with their monitors and Canon software and the PRO-100 - but only as a Photoshop plugin.

Does anyone know of a similar way to do this within Photo and using a monitor other than an Eizo one?:

With thanks,

Robin

Sounds like you posted this question in the wrong place Robin. This thread is re: Topaz plugins, you might not get much a response here for your issue, perhaps try posting again and being the OP (original poster)?

12 hours ago, BruceBanner said:

It looks like it doesn't quite support the plugins per se, but rather Studio (that should have the plugins anyway);

https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001129351-Accessing-Topaz-in-Affinity-Photo

I have actually stayed away from Topaz Studio, so I would really like to see how this actually all works etc. Typically in PS I edit in the stand alone plugin from Topaz, I wonder if I lose or gain anything by being forced towards Topaz Studio instead o.O

The Topaz plug-ins I use are all pre-Topaz Studio. The new versions may not integrate as well.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630