Alfred

Error loading sample in Designer

I cannot load Gagatka’s ‘Handsome Bird’ sample. Is this because of insufficient memory on my iPad Air 2 (and if so, can anything be done about it)?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Alfred it is 159.7MB file size. Would have thought any iPad could handle that file size.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?

Your iPad Pro has 4GB of RAM. My iPad Air 2 has only 2GB.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

9 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Your iPad Pro has 4GB of RAM. My iPad Air 2 has only 2GB.

I think DM1 was suggesting that you didn't have enough storage left on your iPad to store it. I've just loaded that sample up without an issue on an iPad Air 2 here! Have you tried rebooting your iPad and/or router?

Thanks, Sean, but I restarted my iPad and it made no difference. I have tens of gigabytes of storage free, so that isn’t the problem, and in any case I have been able to open several other sample documents.

Alfred online2long.gif

My 2018 iPad 9.7 has 2 GB of memory and it opens it without problem. It's probably something else...

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

My 2018 iPad 9.7 has 2 GB of memory and it opens it without problem. It's probably something else...

I have the same iPad. For me "Handsome Bird" takes an unusually long time to download (i assume because of its file size), but it does eventually download.

Edited by R C-R
Reworded for clarity

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

It's probably something else...

Agreed, Alain, but what? Although half a dozen other samples (details on request!) failed to download properly the first time around, they succeeded on a repeat attempt. ‘Handsome Bird’ steadfastly refuses to cooperate.

Alfred online2long.gif

9 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Agreed, Alain, but what?

It is possible that your connection speed between your iPad & the internet is slow enough that the download is timing out?

My iPad is WiFi only so I can't connect it to the internet directly through a cellular radio, but I have noticed that its connection speed varies considerably depending on how it connects. The slowest is when it connects through the "Personal HotSpot" on my iPhone -- oddly, even though I have that turned off on my iPhone the iPad will use it if I select it in Settings > WiFi. The fastest is the 5 GHz WiFi connection to my Apple Time Capsule, & its 2.4 GHz channel is somewhere in between.

According to the "Speedtest" iOS app the speed of all three connection methods vary considerably but typically the 5 GHz one is around 5 to 10 times faster than the others.

Anyway, at the least make sure your iPad is connected to the internet using the method you expect it to, using the appropriate Settings item (probably WiFi) to check that.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

My iPad is WiFi only

Ditto!

Alfred online2long.gif

Can’t download samples via wifi. Via LTE no problem. I’ve restarted the app, restarted the iPad pro and uninstalled and reinstalled Affinity Designer. I’ve left the app downloading for several minutes. Nothing I have done will allow me to download the samples via wifi.

F817702C-D7B5-4188-BA8E-7CB4CCDACE59.png

11 minutes ago, But the said:

Can’t download samples via wifi.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @But the. :)

Which ones have you tried? Are you saying you can’t download any of them?

Alfred online2long.gif

18 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Ditto!

So does Settings > WiFi show you are connected to the WiFi radio you expect it to be? Sometimes the iPad might try to connect to a neighbor's WiFi radio instead of yours, depending on the settings on the iPad.

33 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So does Settings > WiFi show you are connected to the WiFi radio you expect it to be?

In a word, yes.

My download speed is generally upwards of 10 Mbps, and rarely less than 8 Mbps, so I don’t think that should be contributing to the problem.

Alfred online2long.gif

22 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

My download speed is generally upwards of 10 Mbps, and rarely less than 8 Mbps, so I don’t think that should be contributing to the problem.

I don't know if it is or not, but just for comparison's sake my typical download connection speed on my iPad is rarely less than 50 Mbps & sometimes > 300 Mbps, at least according to SpeedTest. I probably am not getting anything close to that from the servers Affinity uses, so it may mean nothing.

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

I don't know if it is or not, but just for comparison's sake my typical download connection speed on my iPad is rarely less than 50 Mbps & sometimes > 300 Mbps, at least according to SpeedTest. I probably am not getting anything close to that from the servers Affinity uses, so it may mean nothing.

It sounds as though you have a high-speed fibre optic connection. I’m dependent on old-fashioned copper wires here, so I consider myself lucky that I consistently get a download speed of more than 4 Mbps.

Alfred online2long.gif

34 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It sounds as though you have a high-speed fibre optic connection. I’m dependent on old-fashioned copper wires here, so I consider myself lucky that I consistently get a download speed of more than 4 Mbps.

It isn't fiber optic. Our connection is through the copper coax cable that also supplies our cable TV service. My ISP plan includes an "up to 300 Mbps" internet upgrade as part of a reduced price bundle of cable TV, DVR, & internet services -- otherwise I would not pay for that upgrade. Amazingly enough, they under promise & over deliver on that -- on my iMac I rarely see anything below about 275 Mbps & routinely see ~350 Mbps, according to speedtest.net. It is much more constant than the iPad, almost certainly because the iMac connects to the access point end-to-end over CAT 5 & 6 gigabit ethernet cabling, so there are no radios involved.

With that in mind, I don't suppose you get better results when your iPad is physically close to your WiFi access point and/or plugged into a charger, do you?

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is much more constant than the iPad, almost certainly because the iMac connects to the access point end-to-end over CAT 5 & 6 gigabit ethernet cabling, so there are no radios involved.

With that in mind, I don't suppose you get better results when your iPad is physically close to your WiFi access point and/or plugged into a charger, do you?

I actually have two WiFi access points to choose from, but I only notice a difference in the signal strength, not the download speed. I don’t have cable TV, so the aforementioned copper wires are ancient things originally designed to carry nothing but telephone calls.

As it happens, my iPad was plugged into a charger for the entire duration of my previous attempts to download ‘Handsome Bird’, but it’s all rather academic now that I’ve finally succeeded. I’m not aware of having done anything differently on this occasion.

Alfred online2long.gif

29 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

... but it’s all rather academic now that I’ve finally succeeded. I’m not aware of having done anything differently on this occasion.

I wonder if what was happening on your previous attempts was the download was timing out because of your relatively low connection speed, but it was still cacheing what it had downloaded on each try, adding to that until it finally got the whole file? Even on my (theoretically) much faster connection, it took 5 minutes or so for the download to complete, so I can image it taking around an hour for you.

7 hours ago, But the said:

I didn’t try all of them but every one i’ve tried didn’t work.

Turn off wireless and turn it back on, then try a download. That worked for me but I had to repeat for each download.

I also found that when I let the iPad go into screen save (or what ever it called for iPads) that the error with download message would appear.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?