You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

move by increments

Hello, maybe I haven't digged myself enough through the tutorials yet, but I'm missing a feature to move a selection by 1 or 10 pixels into (maybe) the for main directions. 
Procreate has solved this quite elegantly and intuitive and another app (forgot which but I'm sure I saw it somewhere) just had some cursor-buttons at some place on the GUI. 

You can 'nudge' 1 pix or 10 pix using arrow/modifier keys on Smart Keyboard. Preferences tools to adjust nudge distances to any fig you want.

You  can use Transform studio to move selected object by changing x or y coordinates.

You can align to whole pixel by turning on snapping and selecting then moving the object,

There is a pretty good explanation in Help file.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 1 year later...

That works if you have a smart keyboard....I’m able to nudge with a tap in ProCreate and PS Touch.
Please add ghosted 4-directional screen arrows ( so they don't block workspace canvas) or similar buttons in Transform Studio for next update–I use this feature for BOTH objects and selections all the time...

VERY helpful, especially on a keyboard-less iPad.

UPDATE -
Just realized post refers to Designer...important for BOTH Affinity iPad apps–Photo as well. 

And SO wish forums had separate Photo and Designer sections...searching for answers very frustrating when Designer comes up in response to a search regarding Photo app! 

• 2 months later...

Number one feature on my wish list for improvements to Designer.

I strongly recommend the Serif team (if they've not already) experience the nudge feature in the Procreate app.

Tapping (with the apple pencil or finger) nudges by small increments. I'd describe it as pulling the selected item toward the coordinates where the user tapped. Am I right to suspect the nudge via a keyboard works using the coordinates of the selected item, and it's more challenging to do it so a user can tap on the canvas?

An alternative is some sort of onscreen arrow thingy that I think Pedro mentions. How about the bottom panel? I don't mind how the feature is achieved tbh, so long as it's available without more clobber to carry round. Why would this feature not live into the philosophy of mobile working?

It's a killer feature IMHO.

Trying to move things in tiny increments using fingers is hard work. Sticking snap on with 'force pixel' as a work around.. painful is the best I can say about it. Not an alternative. The align... again, a painful cumbersome inelegant experience.

Am I going to carry more clobber around ( a smart keyboard ) just for this feature? Nope.. I'd buy a different app.

(Yes, as @Pedro Antonio requests, it could do to be in both apps, but Designer first please. It's where I miss it the most... and oh heck how much I miss it. It's a big hole in an otherwise great app)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Nice solution in Vectornator. Little dot sits at the bottom left of the screen when something is selected, ever ready.

Tap it and it expands, revealing the arrows as seen below.

Tap it anywhere within it to nudge the selected item(s) - it has a nice visual feedback that’s good for discussing a screen capture (but otherwise unnecessary imho).

You can see I’m tapping at 45 degrees - where the inner circle is sitting.

Tap+hold and the selected element moves continuously by whatever increment is defined.

While not as great as Procreate’s nudge.. I realise tapping more than once is already assigned to selecting objects in Designer. That means nudge becomes problematic. Totally fine with me having this onscreen widget instead. Don’t care so long as I get nudge capability.

Snapping does not negate the need

I was recently trying to centre two objects... involving one object with a visual centre that was not the actual centre and another with a visual centre that was the centre. A few taps would have sorted it. Instead, trying to move the origin, then snap, then move the origin again by a pixel, then snap it again, yeah frustrating.

Edit: I’m the only one following this topic... so I’m wondering if anyone is reading this...

574BAFF3-731D-499C-8620-196EA7B77495.jpeg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

• 2 years later...