You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer iPad drawing-issues

Hello, I really, really love Designer from the second I saw its announcement but having issues with one of the main functions: drawing vectors. 

I'm using a 1st Gen iPad Pro 12,9", newest iOS.

Maybe it's a performance issue but:

1. Whenever I draw with the pen tool I really have problems placing points for my path. For instance I draw some structure like hair on a character, I place one point at one position and place the next point which then wouldn't react. It feels like when close to another point, chances are higher, that nothing would happen, but it also feels like there might be additionally some kind of lag going on. Like after some attempts of pushing wit the Apple Pencil at that position, it would at some random event finally place the point.

2. this behavior adds to the second issue: My path get's seemingly randomly closed. Like I'm drawing my shape and while drawing the path point by point it would finish drawing the path at some point and create a new path at another point. So it would look like a path, but consisting of more than one separate paths. 

These things happen on a completely blank layer, so I don't really think it has to do with performance as Designer generally seems to run very (surprisingly) good on this iPad Pro.

But I will reboot, relaunch and try around a bit more, maybe I can fix something by that. It's a bit sad as I was so curious about a finally good path-drawing app on the iPad Pro and now I'm way more impressed about how useful the Pixel-persona is to me; Procreate start's sobbing.

Anyone else had any of these issues?

cheers, val

Re the first point, I have noticed the same. Placing a point close to another is difficult at normal view levels. Zooming in allows closer placement.

Re random closing of paths, haven't had that experience.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi @valcoholic,

Welcome to the forums. 

@DM1  kind of solved the mystery. if you're too far zoomed out, you will not be able to place points right next to each other. Each point has a "tolerance" around it, otherwise, it would be almost impossible to select the same point again if it was just a couple of pixels in size. This adds up to your second questions. When you double-tap an end node, you will see that the fill changes to white, with a red outline. That basically "closes" the path. If you want to re-enable it, you would have to double tap ( notice the blue square now) and you can carry on with the curve. Being zoomed out, you might accidentally close the curve when trying to add new nodes close together. 

Any more issues, let us know. 

Thanks,

Gabe.