Hanz

Affinity Designer iPad (nodes issue)

Hi guys!

I was expecting this app for iPad quite time long, and finally is here and I really love it. Congratulations for this super app!

Ok, here it is what I think could be a bug:

When I use the pen tool and want to trace a complex illustration, it selects other nodes that are near and deselect my actual shape/path so it creates a new shape... It seems like the area where you can select a node is very big, so I have to make a big zoom in to put more nodes closer to each other... And sometimes my shape gets deselected for no reason (even when there aren't nodes around)... This happens quite often to me with my Apple Pencil

I couldn't find a setting where to fix this...

I like to work fast, making nodes very close to each other, but in this app is really hard to do it, and what it can take me 30min on Illustrator it could take me hours on Affinity Designer... Maybe is just the matter of adding a option where you can modify how big or small you want the area to select or move a node so it doesn't get in conflict with the path/shape you are creating... You can keep that "area" bigger on the 1st node your create so it will be easier to close the shape/path

Is this making sense? If not, I could record a video so you can get what I mean...

I have a 12" iPad Pro 2017 (iOS 11.3)

Anyway this app is just more than amazing! :)

Hi Hanz,

I've reproduced this. I believe it was reported during the early beta testing but if I try and place two nodes too close together, it will select a previous one and break the flow. I'll pass your feedback on. I think a few other posts have popped up regarding this too :/

Exactly! it brakes the flow!

I've made a video for you... I think you can appreciate much better what this issue is... I took an sketch from internet and started to trace it with the pen tool.. The problem gets evident on the roof tiles, where I have to zoom to make it properly, but I'm losing the picture detail and is difficult to understand what I'm drawing... And I really don't get that yellow line that appears sometimes...

Thanks a mill :)

4 hours ago, Hanz said:

And I really don't get that yellow line that appears sometimes...

Do you mean the snapping indicators that appear when (& maybe only when?) these options are visible in the Pen Tool's contextual menu?

239707346_snappingoptions.jpg.e414a647674c02b34f80c6d2aa122cd5.jpg

On my 9.7" iPad, they appear on the second panel of that context menu, as a cluster of 4 small buttons to the right of the larger break, smooth, etc. ones. For me, it does not seem to matter much if any of them are enabled or not, only that the cluster of 4 is visible in the context menu while using a two finger hold to move a node around.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2