You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Previewing documents in greyscale, colourblind views and colour profiles

A feature I often use in Adobe apps is the Proof Setup option. In InDesign this allows me to check how document colours will look across different print and screen colour profiles, including some greyscale profiles. In Illustrator and Photoshop this menu option also checks how document colours would appear to someone with Protanopia or Deuteranopia-type colourblindness (for some reason this feature isn’t in InDesign).

The colour profile previewing is nice to have, but I usually focus on just using the greyscale profiles as a way to test contrast in my artwork colours, and in Illustrator I often like to check that I’m not using colours that wouldn’t read well for a colourblind person.

I’d love for Affinity apps to include greyscale and colourblindness preview options, as well as any other preview modes for visual impairments that may be useful. Having the ability to proof specific colour profiles would also be useful.

You can add an HSL Adjustment at the top of your layer stack and zero the saturation for a quick n dirty grayscale view...

You could of course create your own settings targeting whatever Hue range you wanna shift, drop them into a folder and then use across documents...

You can also use curves to further adjust these "previews"...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

That is true, but making adjustment layers to emulate colourblindness would probably not be possible, and making adjustment layers to target specific print profiles or RGB profiles would be very difficult to do as well.

Adobe’s method of doing this is having a “Proof Setup” option in the View menu along with a “Proof Colours” toggle to quickly switch between your working colours and your proofing colours. This is a much more convenient way of doing things, although I’d always be interested to see if the Affinity team could think up an even better implementation.

• 1 month later...