You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing Palettes

Would love to see ability to import colour palettes.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

+1 for this.

I'd also love to have the option to view the colour swatches as squares rather than circles as I find it easier to compare many colours (such as pantones, or my own palettes) quickly. Love the asset import. Can swatches be as easy?

Also, can we have a mass import colour swatches from currently selected objects?

Also also.... Could the Add Application Palette (and add asset category) automatically bring up the rename bar?
(and a really minor thing, when you rename things, can the text bar auto-capitalise the first word after you hit the 'x'? - just a pleasantry.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi definitely +1 this request too, its the first major obstacle I've come across in my workflow. 

I do a lot of work within the Material Design colour palette, so currently no effective way import these colours, i realise that it is possible in a round about way to add the rgb values individually but its impractical.

The ability to import .afpalette files maybe? Or just including the material palette in an update to sit alongside pantones. Also an option for Hex codes input please!

Really enjoying Designer otherwise, many thanks!

On 7/12/2018 at 9:11 AM, DM1 said:

Would love to see ability to import colour palettes.

Would it be possible to create a document in the desktop version that includes all colour you want to have in your palette? Then do in the Swatches Panel 'Create Palette from Document > As Document Palette'.

Then open this document on the iPad. It should bring its palette with it.

I haven't tried this but it could be some workaround with not too big palettes :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, just spent the better part of an hour trying to figure out how to import, or even create a palette with specific colors. Damn near impossible. The color picker in AD doesn't like choosing colors from imported images and there's no way to past in a hex value. This straight up brought my workflow to a hault until I could get back to the office on my desktop.

Anyways, +1 for enhancing the capabilities of swatch/palette creation. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is kind of ??????, I'm trying to find a word that would've not be insulting, but I cannot think of any so I leave it to your imagination. This is a basic functionality, something more complex as importing assets is available, why not importing palettes? I just spend 2 hours getting a document to have all the colors I have on Adobe Creative Cloud Libraries for nothing, since I cannot even create a palette from a document, I have to select 200 color sets one by one. 😩

Can you make this a priority Affinity Team? You guys have made an awesome job, don't mess it up for something so basic.

Meanwhile Solution

But just in case someone is looking for a quick solution. Is not the best but what else can we do. Create a new Asset on the desktop version. Add as many objects you need, in my case I made an asset set of 64 rectangles and name them by the color name and apply that color to those objects, then I dragged the objects into the new assets. From there, just export the asset set and import it into Affinity Designer or Photo on iPad.

Edited by Raphie
typo and errors

• 5 months later...
On 4/8/2020 at 2:49 PM, Raphie said:

This is kind of ??????, I'm trying to find a word that would've not be insulting, but I cannot think of any so I leave it to your imagination. This is a basic functionality, something more complex as importing assets is available, why not importing palettes? I just spend 2 hours getting a document to have all the colors I have on Adobe Creative Cloud Libraries for nothing, since I cannot even create a palette from a document, I have to select 200 color sets one by one. 😩

Can you make this a priority Affinity Team? You guys have made an awesome job, don't mess it up for something so basic.

Meanwhile Solution

But just in case someone is looking for a quick solution. Is not the best but what else can we do. Create a new Asset on the desktop version. Add as many objects you need, in my case I made an asset set of 64 rectangles and name them by the color name and apply that color to those objects, then I dragged the objects into the new assets. From there, just export the asset set and import it into Affinity Designer or Photo on iPad.

Wait, what? Just found this thread and you JUST taught me I can easily import Assets, something I was going to try today without visiting the boards cause it seemed common sense. I am here because I couldn't figure out how to easily import color palettes. And now you are telling me that something that takes up more space and is a larger file can be imported with ease, but not mere colors? I really came here thinking it was me not finding it. To discover it cannot be done is insane. Wow. I hope they fix this. 

----------------------------------------
i am everything. i am nothing
therefore, i can be anything

• 3 months later...

I am following one in the workbook that I purchased and on page 165 talked about importing a document pallet. But those options are not available on the iPad I assume this is just a desktop capability. Frustrating that I spent the money on the book and they do not have notes about differences in the iPad version.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I have bought Affinity Designer over one year ago to be able to do some work when I'm on the go. To my surprise it lacked any import and export swatches/palette functionalities - my mistake not checking it before purchase. That disqualified AD as a tool that I can use in professional capacity. Going through the hoops to import more than 100 swatches? No way I got time & energy for this, there is work to be done & clients expecting solid results on time.

I hoped that it will be added at certain point, but seeing how this issue is not addressed for years - based on time this thread was created - I'm loosing that little hope that I got for serious color management in AD :( I'm not sure anyone really waited for another welcome screen redesign, when there are gaping holes in basic feature set (well, for most graphic design apps released in last 30 years).

Anyway, here is what I would find MASSIVE as a addition to current AD feature set:

- way to import and export palette in .ASE or any other popular palette exchange format (import is essential)

- feature that would add all colors present in currently selected vector objects to palette & do the same for selected raster area on pixel persona. So it adds colors from all selected pixels to palette.

Thanks for consideration.

• 9 months later...

3 years later and no response from a dev here.

It’s not like we ask for an unreasonable, impossible feature for iPad. Importing color palettes is a rudimentary feature. This is kept away of the software for no reason at all other than waiting to release it with 2.0, or to force people not to do their work entirely on iPad. 

iPad is already as strong as the best iMac. Stop keeping features away for no reason and please, for the love of goddess, don’t cripple the AD for the new M1 iPad Pro and allow more ram usage.

Kind regards.

Edited by kafkatamura
Spelling

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

55 minutes ago, kafkatamura said:

3 years later and no response from a dev here.

Developers (and other Serif staff) generally do not respond in this part of the forums. This is for feedback to Serif, and they use it for planning, but they do not disclose nor discuss future plans.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 months later...

Palette functionality seems to be a huge weakness in the iPad version of AD. Import/export, reorder swatches, create palette from document/image, etc. are all missing. Hopefully the next update/version rectifies many of these issues.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

Adding to the conversation in hopes that the more folks requesting the ability to import/export color palettes from the iPad version of AD the more likely it will be addressed. 

Thank you so much for all you do. Your products have made this artist extremely happy over the years.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to manually import and rename tens of swatches for a custom palette for a project. As I’m moving away from vector graphics to other (raster) interests it gets increasingly difficult to work with Affinity. This is not an unreasonable request. Some of us do not have access to desktop PC’s simply because we do not need any, we have M1 powered iPad devices that replace the need of a desktop altogether.

Please do not underestimate the importance of this function. All the best!

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

• 2 months later...

I need to push this request and want to include a request for a general better colour palettes management in AD ipad....including better pasting of colour codes, deleting Pantone Palettes and a search function e.g. I do all my artwork in AD ipad and in more than two years of doing that I have amounts of colour palettes with no possibilty to sort them, importing/exporting palettes and so on...

I own AD desktop as well (and AP ipad) but dont want to make strange workarounds as I only use the ipad version...