Desinio

Pen Tool Delay in Designer

Add me to the list of people having Pen tool lag issues on my first gen iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. Most notably, the act of just creating pen vector line segments by tapping on the screen and creating nodes is not smooth at all. I have to make a concerted dedicated PUSH on my pen to create a node. It should just be a gentle tap on the screen with the pencil.  I switched over to Graphic to test out my pencil behavior and that app worked exactly in the correct manner that I expected. Tried again in Designer, but the pen tool is just too frustrating to use consistently and I have had to go back to using Graphic for this project

Here is an image showing the issue. All of the nodes should be roughly on the line, but they end up being placed slightly offset in the direction of dragging. The issue occurs with both the pen and using a finger. When using a finger it's harder to see the problem because the inaccuracy is hidden underneath the finger, but hopefully this quick test shows the issue is not specific to the Apple Pencil. It does appear that Affinity Designer ignores where the gesture started and instead uses the position of the pen/finger at the time it realises a drag is occurring. This bug can get even worse with other factors like zoom level. Hope its squashed soon because I've had to resort to another vector app for now. It's too frustrating as it stands.

D770CD2B-6694-4A23-B8D9-7EC36DBE346B.jpeg

Hi guys, just want to chime in and say I’m having this issue on a brand new 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 inch too, very frustrating to work with. Just got the app today. Is there any updates on this problem? Completely ruins the flow and fun and is putting me off using the app. Awesome and very impressive app otherwise.

cheers

7 hours ago, cormaction said:

Hi guys, just want to chime in and say I’m having this issue on a brand new 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 inch too, very frustrating to work with. Just got the app today. Is there any updates on this problem? Completely ruins the flow and fun and is putting me off using the app. Awesome and very impressive app otherwise.

cheers

As far as I'm aware there's been no acknowledgement or progress on this issue. I'm still quietly hoping they get on top of this because it's the single reason I stopped using the app. But it's been ongoing for several months. Fingers crossed.

Maybe if you shared some screenshots highlighting the issue? I attempted to show the issue in the above image but I'm not sure how clear I was.

There does appear to be a little 'inaccuracy' in Affinity Designer when placing the pencil on the line. Sometimes above the line sometimes below. In the Vectornator video there does not appear to be any inaccuracy performing the same actions. Not a big deal but evident.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 Affinity Design 1.7.1.1 Publisher for iPad ?

12 hours ago, Greenalien said:

As far as I'm aware there's been no acknowledgement or progress on this issue. I'm still quietly hoping they get on top of this because it's the single reason I stopped using the app. But it's been ongoing for several months. Fingers crossed.

Maybe if you shared some screenshots highlighting the issue? I attempted to show the issue in the above image but I'm not sure how clear I was.

I think it’s been covered but here’s a video from my end anyway. I’m more so talking about the lag/delay rather than the accuracy in my case but seems to stem from similar issue. Just to reiterate the problem I’m having. When I click On a node, hold and drag there is a lag/delay before it enventually snaps to where my cursor is. However if I just tap and drag really quickly it moves right away. I have no idea why there is a lag one way and not the other but it’s driving me up the wall! 

Also, in the vid you can see certain instances when a magnified view of my Selection appears but it appears to be just a still from when I made the click...it doesn’t move or update as I drag so it actually gets in the way of what I’m trying to see. Maybe I’m missing something but is this a bug? If it’s a magnifier, shouldn’t you see the movement update inside the magnification bubble too? Currently the static image doesnt actually help and it gets in the way?

cheers

Thanks for making those videos. Echoes my experience - slightly off with Affinity Designer and accurate with Vectornator (and other vector tools). I disagree thats its not a big deal though. It really gets in the way of tracing things and can get even worse when theres more going on and zoomed in. It's really curbed my initial enthusiam for this tool and I've held off buying their other apps as a result.

10 minutes ago, cormaction said:

I think it’s been covered but here’s a video from my end anyway. I’m more so talking about the lag/delay rather than the accuracy in my case but seems to stem from similar issue. Just to reiterate the problem I’m having. When I click On a node, hold and drag there is a lag/delay before it enventually snaps to where my cursor is. However if I just tap and drag really quickly it moves right away. I have no idea why there is a lag one way and not the other but it’s driving me up the wall! 

Also, in the vid you can see certain instances when a magnified view of my Selection appears but it appears to be just a still from when I made the click...it doesn’t move or update as I drag so it actually gets in the way of what I’m trying to see. Maybe I’m missing something but is this a bug? If it’s a magnifier, shouldn’t you see the movement update inside the magnification bubble too? Currently the static image doesnt actually help and it gets in the way?

cheers

I'd say thats part of the same problem. In both cases the app isn't storing the initial position of the gesture and is only using the position at the point it recognises the gesture. At least that's how it appears.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:47 AM, Mirella said:

I have a similar problem while using pen tool or editing nodes afterwards. It‘s very unresponsive, especially if you use the one finger gesture to move both handles separately.

This is me all day.  Makes the app almost unusable.  Have to go really slow and keep trying until it works :(  

Any news on a fix or update?  I really like the app, but this makes creating vector art a real tedious process since 90% of that work is done with the pen tool.

Im on version 1.6.4.45, original iPad pro 12.5"

I also seem to be experiencing the same issue with the marquee selection tool.

Same thing, on new iPad pro 12.9''. Why this isn't a priority for devs? I really like Affinity Designer but this is just unacceptable when it's not fixed for so many months...

So this issue was detected July 2018. It’s now almost April 2019. I just bought this app yesterday and I could not have foreseen that a basic function like manipulating handles and points would be an issue in such an advanced app like this. This is slowing my workflow down a lot! I really don’t get how an important feature like this has not been solved almost a year later!

So now I spend almost €20 for this app and stick to Vectornator, witch is a free app, because of this issue. Btw in Vectornator manipulating handles and points work flawlessly.

Yes, I think that is outrageous for a similar app. I’ve got an iPad Pro 12.9 2018 WiFi cell 256Gb and the Apple Pencil works great with all the app, but not with Affinity Designer.

Hi!

I just bought AD for iPad Pro 2018 and I’m having this issue. It’s annoying as f***, annoying as h***, annoying as... yeah, you get the point.

AD is a great app and I was really looking forward to being able to use it on my iPad, but for me this issue virtually makes the app not worth using.

I’m not exaggerating when I say that it blows my mind in the most negative way seeing that this issue was raised almost a year ago and still haven’t been resolved. What should I do now, claim my money back? Or will you be able to fix this issue? Will you prioritize fixing this issue?

Please understand that this is not just a small insignificant annoyance, it’s a MAJOR flaw. It’s like painting with a brush made out of elastic rubber - accuracy is out the window, efficiency is out the window  

This issue really should be put on the very top position of your high priority list.

Other than this, please know I love your work.

Kind regards,

Mike

@MikeyMike what version are you using? An update was released yesterday that has addressed the node selection/movement with pencil that I was experiencing. Current version is 1.7.0.5

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 Affinity Design 1.7.1.1 Publisher for iPad ?

Posted (edited)

@DM1 How did you get this update?
I’ve had a look in the AppStore but the latest version I can get is 1.6.4.

6D087E00-1FB6-489D-8274-0A47E05690AA.png

Edited by Susanne

5 minutes ago, Susanne said:

@DM1 How did you get this update?
I’ve had a look in the AppStore but the latest version I can get is 1.6.4.

Version 1.7.0.5 hasn’t been released to the App Store yet. It’s currently only available (via TestFlight) to participants in the beta programme.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

4 hours ago, DM1 said:

@MikeyMike what version are you using? An update was released yesterday that has addressed the node selection/movement with pencil that I was experiencing. Current version is 1.7.0.5

Thanks for the video. I noticed you place the node and then drag it in two distinct actions. What happens if you just click and drag?

This is by far the most problematic bug in Designer. Note that if you watch any tutorial video made by Serif (where the pencil is used), you can see this problem happening. This is the most perplexing thing to me. The developers are clearly aware of the problem, and have been for a long time, and yet it persists. 

For a long time I just assumed that this was an unavoidable problem stemming from limitations of the iPad, but this is clearly not the case. Vectornator works virtually flawlessly in this respect (although I still use Designer, as it is superior in every other way, IMO). I have gotten used to just drawing paths to an approximate level of accuracy, then going in and adjusting every node. This is not necessary in Vectornator. Also, it seems that there is a very simple reason that Vectornator works and Designer doesn't: when a path is started in Designer, the node is not put down when the pencil touches, but rather when the pencil starts moving. In Vectornator, the node is established on contact, so it ends up in the right place. If you look closely, you can see that Vectornator also has a bit of delay, but it doesn't screw up node placement because the node is already placed when the pencil starts moving. This is really the most infuriating thing about this----that there is such an obvious solution (i.e., place node on contact, not movement).

Also I will reiterate what many have observed above: that this has nothing to do with finger vs. pencil. You just can't see what is happening under your finger. Also, are people really using this app without a Pencil?

It would be great to get some indication from Serif about WHY this bug exists, and what is being done, and what is the timeline of fixing it (or just acknowledging that it exists, for christ's sake). I have recommended this app to many colleagues, but I will probably stop recommending it until this problem is addressed. 

8 hours ago, Greenalien said:

Thanks for the video. I noticed you place the node and then drag it in two distinct actions. What happens if you just click and drag?

Firstly, apologies, I didn’t realise the update was limited to beta group at the moment as it overwrote my 1.6 release. I guess the devs are testing the distribution process too. Hang in there, it’s very close and worth the wait.

Tap and drag is no different. No delay evident here and very smooth. Placement is accurate too. In previous video you can see the node placed on the line where and when I tap. In 1.6 this didn’t happen.

It looks like the team at Affinity has solved the Apple Pencil delay with version 1.7.1 of Designer and Photo for iPad. Moving nodes, handles and objects is very smooth. Thanks for all your hard work.