Desinio

Pen Tool Delay in Designer

Hello everyone,

I’ve noticed a small issue with Affinity Designer for iPad. Whenever I use the pen tool to create a curved path, there is always a small delay from the moment I’ve clicked and dragged on the screen to the moment the path actually appears. This does not happen with the Pen Tool in Affinity Photo and non-curved paths also appear instantly. I’m using the first version of the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. 

I hope this helps.

Hey Desinio, welcome to the Affinity Forums. 

I've tried this on a 9.7" and a 12.9" Pro and I can't seem to reproduce this. Would it be possible for you to record a quick screen recording of this so we can see your settings?

I've been having this same issue as well on the current 12" iPad Pro + Apple Pencil. This causes the path to start in the wrong position. 

I've also noticed that when using the Apple pencil with the pen tool Affinity will often place the point above or below where I have clicked - this happens near paths I've already drawn, as if affinity does not want me to start a new path on top of an existing one.   

Ah, so this is only with the Apple Pencil? Can you reproduce it with your finger? I'll give it a go now. 

Update - Unfortunately I'm still not seeing the issue. Any chance of a quick screen recording? I'd like to get to the bottom of this as quick as we can.

34 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Ah, so this is only with the Apple Pencil? Can you reproduce it with your finger? I'll give it a go now. 

Update - Unfortunately I'm still not seeing the issue. Any chance of a quick screen recording? I'd like to get to the bottom of this as quick as we can.

Thank you for replying. It appears to be an Apple Pencil issue because the delay is much less/non-existant when I use my finger.

Here is a small video of the delay in comparison to non-curved paths. I’m not sure if this video shows the delay clearly because I’ve had delays that were a little longer, but I was not able to reproduce them for the video.

The app is amazing by the way.

Same thing here 300-400 delay/lag both on node and pen tool when working with curves. that makes it really frustrating

iPad 12.9, 256, 2016, model A1652, ios 11.4.1, Apple Pencil 

I’m having similar delay issues.   When moving a node or node handle there is a fairly substantial delay before the node moves.   The selection of the node works fine, the delay happens when the node or node handle is attempted to be moved.  I have also had difficulty moving a selected object. The selected object tends to want to scale or stretch instead of follow the pencil as it moves. ( The Apple Pencil is within the center of the selected object, not touching any of the handles )

I've noticed this issue too. The issue seems to be "drag distance". If I keep the dragging in a small radius around the point, it will never drag. As soon as I move outside of the boundary, the drag starts. This makes it impossible to do fine movements (which is what I use this tool for - small adjustments). I see the same behavior when using regular touch - like 5 points distance of panning is needed to start the drag.

Edited by jarzola
Video file didn’t open. Reuploading.

I also noticed that, when I want to set a new point quite near to the last point (with Apple Pencil) it wouldn’t do it until I zoom in so the distance between the points gets bigger.

I am experiencing a huge pen delay in recent weeks. It seems that with all other apps the pen works correctly. But with Designer and Photo the cursor "floats" a second after the pen nib touches Wacom. Any ideas, please? Thanks.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:35 PM, Mirella said:

I also noticed that, when I want to set a new point quite near to the last point (with Apple Pencil) it wouldn’t do it until I zoom in so the distance between the points gets bigger.

I have this problem too. When I don't zoom, I can't put a new point near to last point. But when I zoom I can put easily. I don't want to zoom in  & out always. It is bad experience while drawing. They must solve this problem because it is very very bad.

28 minutes ago, Kurb said:

Have you guys updated your version of AP? Cuz the delay is gone for good :DD

The app hasn’t got any updates in Turkey App Store. Which version are you using or updated? Can you share with us? 

I’m using Designer 1.6.4 and still having this problem. I have also noticed that the move tool has the same delay as the node tool.   When using the move tool  to move an object (or the node tool to move a node or node handle) the Apple Pencil needs to move about an 1/8 of an inch before the object (or node or node handle) begins to move.  This is especially noticeable when one moves the Apple Pencil slowly.

I am also unable to place new node close to existing nodes.

P.S. Affinity Photo’s node tool and move tool have the same problem.

Maybe related:

Regarding having to zoom in a lot and not being to create close nodes - I experience same delays and similar precision issues in Photo (latest update) especially when I use the lasso tool for selections and try to add a new point or to make a small and precise curve/turn. It is impossible - the pencil needs to be dragged past a certain distance to register the change of direction or a new point close to a previous one.  Leading to issues with precision making line drawing selections. Scrolling down the following thread, I saw an interesting point about the active area around a corner/point being way too large since the app was mainly designed for (large?) finger input

If this is the case, it is still quite a miss for an app aimed at design/creative professionals working with precision tools.

Has there been any movement on this bug with the Pen tool? It's still significant with the current version of Affinity Designer for iPad as of December 2018. I'm also not confinced this is an Apple Pencil issue - using a finger just hides that there is a delay before a node is created.

It's not even a subtle issue.

This bug makes Affinity Designer on iPad tough to use. Having to return to nodes afterwards to reposition them all is tedious.

I've just tried the Pen tool in other apps on the same device (iPad Pro 9.7) and they work fine. No issues at all with Graphic and Vectornator. 

Reading a review of AD for iPad the reviewer had this issue too, so it's disconcerting that a crucial bug like this has been outstanding for so long. Creating curves with the Pen tool should be this tools bread and butter! Really hoping Serif can get on top of this because it spoils what is otherwise a great app.

Unfortunately emphasis appears to be on use of fingers rather than pencil. :( A happy balance is yet to be found. I would prefer a switch in settings to select pencil input in place of finger input for using all tools.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.146 Affinity Design 1.7.1.1 Publisher for iPad ?

5 hours ago, DM1 said:

Unfortunately emphasis appears to be on use of fingers rather than pencil. :( A happy balance is yet to be found. I would prefer a switch in settings to select pencil input in place of finger input for using all tools.

I don't think this issue is specific to the Apple Pencil. It's just that using touch hides this imprecision underneath your finger.

You can test this as follows. Draw a straight line to act as a reference then deselect it before continuing. Select the Pen tool. Now with your finger create a node roughly on the line then drag to one side of the line to create the node's handles, then place another node further down the line but this time drag to the opposite side of the line. Continue alternating like this to create a nice smooth sine wave following the length of the line. All of the nodes should rest on the line, but observe that they're all actually offset slightly in the direction you dragged. 

This suggests to me that the issue is not Apple Pencil specific and more the core implementation. The point at which the gesture begins is not being remembered. It's taking the point at the time it thinks it knows what you intend to do - this is too late in the gesture. This is the crux.

Also, the speed of the device, the size of the document, features used, options enabled, zoom level, device free memory etc all contribute to how significant this imprecision is. i.e. The node offset might be smaller and less noticable on a faster device where it can compute the intended gesture quicker. But as mentioned 1) I don't have this issue with the Pen tool in two other apps on the same device, 2) All of this goes away if the app simply remembers the initial position of the gesture.