You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1st Impressions, and early feedback

My first impressions after half an hour of use is this: 

1 - Great work! My rather complex files seem to open with no problem! I can get work done with this.
2 - Moving points feels a *little* laggy - what I mean by this is that there's a small (perhaps a 1 or 1/2 second) delay before the point moves when dragged with the Apple Pencil. It's not a deal breaker but makes the app feel a bit "sticky".
3 - Full support for all keyboard shortcuts would be excellent, and really speed up my workflow. Some seem to work, while others do not. Examples of keys which do not work are: modifier keys - using shift to with the select tool to pick multiple objects, or "i" to bring up the colour picker. 

2 hours ago, RocketBoots said:

2 - Moving points feels a *little* laggy - what I mean by this is that there's a small (perhaps a 1 or 1/2 second) delay before the point moves when dragged with the Apple Pencil. It's not a deal breaker but makes the app feel a bit "sticky".

Hi @RocketBoots,

this is exactly what I am experiencing. It may be related to the model of iPad you have. The newer (and more powerfull) one's seem to perform better.

Mine is an little older iPad pro 9.7". It would be interesting to hear with what you are working.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hello Affinity team and thank you so much!
Amazing mobile version of your flagship Designer for desktop!
Clearily this is the very first official version so it's normal to have some issue or some part that doens't work as excepetd.

Actually, after use it for about 4 hours today, I have found some important issue (or missing feature) for me.

1. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but it seems that there's a serious missing feature: Copy/Paste between Affinity Designer and other apps like Procreate and also Affinity Photo! I've tried many times with both vector objects and rasterized objects.
    If I use the command "Clipboard Copy" I'm not able to Paste the copied thing nowhere. Neither in Procreate nor in Affinity Designer.
    Ad this happens both with vector or rasterized things. How this can be possible? How can I easily share things between Affinity Designer and other graphic apps?
    This is a very important feature for me because in my workflow I work both with Vector things and Raster things using Procreate and Affinity tools.
    I expected at least that the Copy/Paste command would work between Affinity Photo and Designer but I didn't find a way to make it work.

2. It seems that Affinity Designer (and Photo) doesn't support multitasking on iOS (splitted screen) and has no drag and drop functionality.

That's all for the moment.
If you have some advice to make these things work please let me know soon.

Regards.
Marco (mkdm)

@mkdm, from what I can tell, sandboxing in iOS 11 imposes strict limit on what an app's sandboxed clipboard can share with other apps -- so far the only thing I have been able to copy in one Affinity app & paste it in another is text, & that is limited to text selected & copied in one app & pasted into a text box in the other if that text box is in text edit mode. This works for all apps that accept text input, not just the Affinity ones, but it doesn't work for layers.

Also, as demonstrated in the Affinity Photo iPad - iOS 11 Drag & Drop video, there are various ways to copy images between apps, but this is limited to documents, & does not work with individual layers.

So while I hope I am wrong about this, these features apparently are missing because iOS 11 won't allow them. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks RC-R for your reply anyway.

But...I already know all these matters regarding iOS 11 sandbox...
I really appreciate if, when they can, Affinity Team help me for this issue.
What I'm asking is simply easily Copy/Paste things form two products of the same family: Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo (back and forth), and simply copy/paste "bitmap" things from Affinity Designer to/from other bitmap apps like Procreate or Artstudio Pro or any other.

I would be very grateful is someone told me how to:

1) Copy/Paste vector and bitmap things back and forth between Affinity Designer and Photo
2) Copy/Paste raster (bitmap) things back and forth among Affinity Designer and any other bitmap Apps (Procreate and so on)

I already know that Affinity Designer and Photo have the ability to "export" but this operation is absolutely not comparable to a simple copy/paste command.

I hope that someone help me for this because my workflow heavily leverages on the content sharing among different graphic apps.

Thanks to all of you who will answer me :)

Marco (mkdm)

22 minutes ago, mkdm said:

What I'm asking is simply easily Copy/Paste things form two products of the same family: Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo (back and forth), and simply copy/paste "bitmap" things from Affinity Designer to/from other bitmap apps like Procreate or Artstudio Pro or any other.

I know that is what you are asking, but what I am saying is iOS 11 will not allow different apps to share their clipboard contents, except for text. IOW, each app has its own individual sandboxed clipboard. iOS 11 will only allow other apps access to an app's clipboard contents if it is text, & apparently only plain text even then, but I am not sure of that last part.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm sorry R C-R but what you're saying is not completely correct.

In fact for example I already can copy/past "bitmap" things from  Procreate to Affinity Photo and Designer or to any other bitmap App.
You can try on your own if you want.

But actually it seems that is impossibile to do the same things between Designer and Photo (and all other things I've said in my previous message that involves the two apps).

Regards.

Marco
(mkdm)

22 minutes ago, mkdm said:

In fact for example I already can copy/past "bitmap" things from  Procreate to Affinity Photo and Designer or to any other bitmap App.

But are these "bitmap" things raster image format files, or are they layers or other application specific objects? IOW, what exactly is on the clipboard?

Affinity Photo 

14 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @RocketBoots,

this is exactly what I am experiencing. It may be related to the model of iPad you have. The newer (and more powerfull) one's seem to perform better.

Mine is an little older iPad pro 9.7". It would be interesting to hear with what you are working.

d.

I'm using the current 12" iPad Pro.

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But are these "bitmap" things raster image format files, or are they layers or other application specific objects? IOW, what exactly is on the clipboard?

Simply "bitmap" objects.
For example, you can easily try this very simple test:
1) Create a  simple Circle with the Ellipse tool in Designer
2) Rasterize it, so in this way it become a pixel objet
3) Copy the object into the clipboard with the "Clipboard - Copy"
4) Try to Paste into Affinty Photo. NO WAY!!
5) try to Paste into any other bitmap Apps like Procreate. NO WAY!!!

3 hours ago, mkdm said:

For example, you can easily try this very simple test:

OK, I see what you mean. I also noticed that even within Designer or Photo on my iPad, sometimes neither app is able to paste its own clipboard contents back into a different document -- it is as if the clipboard contents are being cleared when the app returns to its home screen. On a few occasions, pasting within the app even has pasted something that was not what I placed on the clipboard via Edit menu > Clipboard > Copy.

Because this affects both iPad apps & is somewhat erratic, I think it qualifies as a bug, & should be posted to the Bugs on iPad forum, if it has not been already.

Affinity Photo 

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Because this affects both iPad apps & is somewhat erratic, I think it qualifies as a bug, & should be posted to the Bugs on iPad forum, if it has not been already.

Ok. I'm going to post on Bugs on Ipad. I hoe they will repair soon this issue because it's very critical.

Regards.

7 hours ago, RocketBoots said:

I'm using the current 12" iPad Pro.

Doh! I assume you have a lot more of processing power, then.

Then there must be some different reason for this. Let's see if there is an optimization with one of the next releases.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 7/11/2018 at 12:27 PM, RocketBoots said:

My first impressions after half an hour of use is this: 

1 - Great work! My rather complex files seem to open with no problem! I can get work done with this.
3 - Full support for all keyboard shortcuts would be excellent, and really speed up my workflow. Some seem to work, while others do not. Examples of keys which do not work are: modifier keys - using shift to with the select tool to pick multiple objects, or "i" to bring up the colour picker. 

#2.  It’s actually the same on the desktop version.  So, it’s not a problem with the iPad but more a problem with how the app is coded.  Everytime you try to move a node, there’s a short delay, then the node “pops” to new position, likely overshooting the desired area, then you have to bring it back to where you intended it to move to.