You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request for Affinity Designer on Amazon Fire HD 10

On 7/11/2018 at 10:47 AM, numpdog said:

I couldn't find the right forum, so my request is here.  I would like to see Affinity Designer on the Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet.

There are not many such apps there now and this would set you apart!

Thanks!

Hi! I'm not sure how powerful the chipset is on the Fire HD tablet - it might not be feasible to port it over. However, if it is feasible, who knows if it would be financially practical. I suspect (could be VERY wrong, though!) that the majority of people who would be using this app would tend to be the ones who already have an investment in Apple iOS hardware. I know I'm guilty of getting my iPad Pro solely because of the Affinity apps :)

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the specs on the Fire 10; I'm afraid that it having only 2GB of RAM alone might disqualify it. I could totally be wrong, though. And what @davemac2015 said—Affinity is a small team with a pretty specific focus. Not sure I'd hold my breath on that one :( I'm also not sure I would want to use Designer on a not-iPad.

8 hours ago, Minimumsix13 said:

I checked the specs on the Fire 10; I'm afraid that it having only 2GB of RAM alone might disqualify it.

My iPad Air 2 has only 2GB of RAM, so that on its own wouldn’t be a stumbling block.

33 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

This will never happen...

can’t see any big sales figure to this platform considering graphic software...

Buy a real tablet - iPad Pro 12.9”...

It’s a completely different market. A 32GB Fire HD 10 costs only US$150, and it’s aimed squarely at entertainment.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

My iPad Air 2 has only 2GB of RAM, so that on its own wouldn’t be a stumbling block.

Ah, good point! But the iPads RAM also helps to handle dedicated graphics processing with Apple's Metal engine, which is something Affinity relies on for smooth performance on a mobile device. And the processor is, of course a big factor. You don't sell a tablet for $150 if it's made with in-house silicon built for your operating system. Can't stress enough—the app is nearly identical to its desktop app so I'm not sure how well a Fire tablet would handle it. Refresh rate is a tough factor, too. Don't want to rain on your parade, honest. But it sounds like you would really benefit from dropping the cash on an iPad Pro, even the 10.5". My brother has a Fire 10, and it's nice, but it's a pretty big step down.

1 hour ago, Minimumsix13 said:

Ah, good point! But the iPads RAM also helps to handle dedicated graphics processing with Apple's Metal engine, which is something Affinity relies on for smooth performance on a mobile device. And the processor is, of course a big factor. You don't sell a tablet for $150 if it's made with in-house silicon built for your operating system.

Ah, good point (as somebody famous once said)! :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Well, Serif is only developing for Mac, Windows and iOS at the moment so that excludes the Amazon Fire HD. Also, doesn't Amazon have a fork of Android, this Fire OS is an offshoot of Android, who is to say if Serif did develop the Affinity line for Android that it would run without any issues on Fire OS?

There are those that want the Affinity apps on Linux, those that want Android, those that want it to run on Fire OS, I don't think Serif has enough time, money, people or resources to do all of that. I have the Mac/Win/iOS apps for both Designer and Photo and yes, this is purely selfish on my part, but I think Serif should concentrate on those 3 and not take on anymore platforms.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 11:26 PM, Minimumsix13 said:

I checked the specs on the Fire 10; I'm afraid that it having only 2GB of RAM alone might disqualify it. I could totally be wrong, though. And what @davemac2015 said—Affinity is a small team with a pretty specific focus. Not sure I'd hold my breath on that one :( I'm also not sure I would want to use Designer on a not-iPad.

Having only 2 Gigs of ram wouldn't disqualify it.  The iPad Pro 9.7" only has 2 gigs of ram.  On the other hand, having only 2 gigs of ram probably SHOULD disqualify both of them.  At any rate, Serif, like a lot of developers are probably not too interested in Android.  But I will say this.  Apps like Infinite Painter on Android have a ton of features and functions and it abolutely flies on my Galaxy Note 8 phone.  But then, my Note 8 has 6 gigs of ram.  It's way better on my phone than on my old Android tablet with 3 Gigs of ram.  So the idea of using Designer on a non-iPad tablet is not a bad thing at all.  Android does have some better functions.  There's a cursor that is always visible which is one big advantage.  And the Samsung S Pen has a user customizable button on the stylus.  With a fast, newish Android tablet like the Tab S3/4, it would probably be a very good experience.