You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I'm using Affinity Photo on 64 bit Windows 8. In some files when I use eyedropper tool, the color I pick up is way darker than the original. I wonder why that might be? In other files I don't encounter that issue.

I first started that file in Designer trial, and then continued in Photo. Can it be the reason? How do I fix that? It's really slowing down my work.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found out what whas wrong :) I had Brightness/Contrast layer on top of my artwork, and the eyedropper tool had been sampling the edited colour. I hid this adjustment layer and it started working just fine.

But, I have another question about this tool. Sometimes it samples the colour of the background instead the one of the layer on top of it. When it happens I have to change the active layer, sample the color I want and then go back to the layer I'm working on. Is there any particular reason why this happens?

• Staff

If you have the sample to "global" it will not take into account the layers ( basically sampling as it all the layers were flattened). If you set it to layer, it will only sample from the layer you have selected in the layer studio. 

2 hours ago, GabrielM said:

If you have the sample to "global" it will not take into account the layers ( basically sampling as it all the layers were flattened). If you set it to layer, it will only sample from the layer you have selected in the layer studio. 

I know :) I have it set to global, and yet sometimes it samples background. Maybe I accidentally use some shortcut that changes eyedropper settings?

• Staff

There is no shortcut to swap between the 2. It would help if you could get a screen recording when this happens. Other than that, we could not replicate the issue and we are not aware of any other reports for this. Sorry :( You can always try to reset the app and see if that fixes it.