You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, 

I am trying to import scaled PDF documents into Affinity and when I drag and drop on to an existing open document it appears to be imported to the correct scale. But if I open a new document from an existing PDF it looses its relation to scale. 

With Photoshop I used to just right click on pdf import the document and it was there already scaled. 

Is there something I am missing or do I always have to open a document to the correct document size the PDF was created on then import the PDF from there. 

This would be okay for most PDFs that are created on standard paper sizes where it is stated on the document but if the paper size is not stated on the PDF I am not sure of the procedure of importing to scale? 

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this process. 

Kind Regards

Shiv :) 

• Staff

I might misunderstand your request. 

The file you attached is 84.1 cm x 59.41 cm , regardless of the method you use to import it. What do you mean by "correct" scale? Your document is 1:111.11 real scale, not 1:100 purely because of its size. image.thumb.png.8e92268fbb5e1743fbc02283195c52ee.png

The red square (10mm x 10mm) is slightly larger than your ruler, which makes your scale 1:111.11 rather than 1:100. Is that what you meant by "not the correct scale"? Your ruler unit is 9mm, not 10. 

If i right click on the document from windows explorer and open in Affinity -  click okay to the dialog box. The document opens up to the size it comes in at, but when I copy a portion of the document using marquee tool and take it to a clean A3 sheet the scale doesn't translate to what is the correct print size should be to.   

The screenshots show the imported document and the other screenshot is flatten copied and pasted into a new A3 sheet. The correct size of the property should almost take up the entire document. 

If i print that out and try to scale from it wouldn't translate to correct dimensions. 

I have also attached the PDF used in the screenshot

Hope that helps?

4965 - 4A.pdf

image.png

image.png

• Staff

When you rasterise, your document will become e pixel layer, not a vector, taking the DPI of the document ( 72). if you paste it into an a3 document, the size would be smaller as the raster image is smaller. You would have to either rasterise at a higher DPI or create the new document with the DPI of the original one.