RocketBoots

[By Design] Affinity Designer - Shapes change layer when moved

I've run into an odd bug which happens like this: 

I copy and paste shapes from one layer, to a layer below. When I try to move those shapes with the mouse, or the arrow keys they jump up to top layer. 

Using the latest Windows version of Affinity Designer, Windows 10, most recent automatic updates installed. 

Cheers!

Hi RocketBoots,

Unfortunately I can't reproduce that here, performing a copy and paste to a different layer and then moving it acts as I would expect. Are you able to record a video showing the issue at all please?

Hi Sean, thanks for the fast reply - I've figured it out the situation which causes this: the bottom most layer was outside of  the artboard.  

I still don't understand why moving the shapes would cause them to change their hierarchy in the layer pallet, but adding the layer back into the artboard makes things work as they should :)

Hi RocketBoots,
This is by design. Any object that lays above the artboard area must be contained within that artboard layer (or inside a layer within it). When using artboard based documents the artboard should be used as the root for all other objects, unless this objects are located outside the artboard area.