You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will Affinity Publisher be backward compatible?

What always bothered me about InDesign was that new versions were never backwards compatible. I've always wondered why this is done with ID. With other programs - such as Photoshop - this is not the case.

My question to the developers: How will this be done at Affinity Publisher? Will new versions be backward compatible?

2 hours ago, Michail said:

Will new versions be backward compatible?

Publisher will be the first version of a completely new app - what should be backward compatible?
If you think compatibility with the original Serif application (PagePlus), I doubt - see the incompatibility of ADe and APh.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

It’s entirely reasonable to expect that Affinity 2.x apps will be able to open files saved from Affinity 1.x, but I don’t think the 1.x apps will be able to open 2.x files without being updated to understand the new features.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Publisher will be the first version of a completely new app - what should be backward compatible?
If you think compatibility with the original Serif application (PagePlus), I doubt - see the incompatibility of ADe and APh.

I think ahead! Of course I don't mean the first version, but all the following ones!!

I don't know what plans Serif has for collaborative work-flows where there would be different versions are involved--i.e., back-saving. At the price, though, everyone should just be working with the then current version.

As regards AI, the files aren't truly backwards compatible these days and in some cases a file from the newest CC cannot even be opened in CS6 or it will open blank. Some PS files cannot be opened in older versions of PS, either.

ID has the IDML capability for sharing with users down to CS4. If one with a newer version of ID needs to share with CS3 and prior, the IDML needs to be opened in CS4 and saved to .inx format. So there has always been the possibility to share newer ID files with people using older versions.

50 minutes ago, MikeW said:

... If one with a newer version of ID needs to share with CS3 and prior, the IDML needs to be opened in CS4 and saved to .inx format. So there has always been the possibility to share newer ID files with people using older versions. 

Such exchange formats are always sources of errors. A lot of rework is necessary for more complex projects.