You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filling a shape with another

• Staff

Hi Alferic-1,

If the country flag is a bitmap, drag it over the country's path on the layers panel.

If the flag is composed by vector objects, put those object inside a layer (or group them as you prefer) and drag the layer (or group) over the country's path on the layers panel.

Hello MEB,

I tried, but it doesn't work 

Look my attacked testfile: I want to fill the drop with the "flag", everything outside the drop shall be blank

1st picture: start version 

2nd picture: I marked yellow stripe of flag, then drop, then I clicked the intersect tool: OK

3rd picture: I marked red flag tripe, green flag stripe, then drop. When I use intersect tool: everything vanishes: NOK (the marking of only two of the three stripes was for demonstration, I first marked all stripe and then everything disappeared)

4th picture: I grouped flag stripes: intersect tool is blanked out and can't be used

What do I wrong?

FillTest2.afdesign

Thanks Alferic-1,

glad you liked it.

The method I use is slightly different.

1. Make sure your country outline is a vectored outline
  2. Place/copy etc, your chosen flag next to (but not on top) the country ouline
  3. Select the flag, by clicking on it
  4. Then Edit>Cut the flag, it will now disappear; this is fine
  5. Now select the outline, by clicking on it
  6. Go to Edit>Paste Inside
  7. At this point, you should see an empty blue bounding box: this is fine
  8. Drag that bounding box over your outline, the flag will now appear underneath the hole 
  9. Adjust to fit

Although this looks a bit complicated, there is usually more than one way of doing a task in AD. That is fine, you just need to try them and go for the one you feel most confident with.

Hope that helps

peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Thanks. This is all MattP's doing. This is one of those now I know...tools, that you'll use all the time. :ph34r:

My first tutorial and pupil. Yay! ;)

Cartoonmike and ronniemcbride would be proud. :D

peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

• 1 year later...

When you cut the photo and then 'Paste Inside' the map shape as per Peter's instructions, the photo is (or rather, should be!) clipped to the shape of the map. You can do the same thing without cutting and pasting:

1. Position the map on top of the photo

2. Go to the Layers panel

3. Drag the photo layer up towards the map layer

In the Layers panel you should see a long blue rectangle extending to the right of the map thumbnail, and on the page you should see the photo clipped to the shape of the map.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)