You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

using Erase Paper feature on hand-painted watercolor design

I am new and have figured out how to brighten my photo of my original artwork (watercolor design) enough that I was able to get the erase paper feature to work.  So now I have the gray and white checkerboard pattern that shows that the watercolor image is on a transparent background.  How do I save it so that only the colored part is applied when I put it into another document.  Do I need to either cut out the the color image from the transparent background or save it as a particular type of document so the transparency is saved.  Right now when I try to expert it, it is still showing the white background.  Thank you!  I am sorry if this is something obvious.  I am new to using Affinity Photo for this and have tried to search forums and online for something to clarify this and haven't found it.   

Screenshot 2018-07-09 18.52.38.png

13 hours ago, toltec said:

You must save the document in a format that supports transparency, like PNG or TIFF. JPEGs don't support transparency, so the background will be white.

Thank you for your response!  I tried saving as a .png and it is still showing the background when I save and drop the image into a new document.  I'll try a TIFF, now, too.  But do you know of any online tutorials demonstrating this?

57 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Thank you for your response!  I tried saving as a .png and it is still showing the background when I save and drop the image into a new document.  I'll try a TIFF, now, too.  But do you know of any online tutorials demonstrating this?

What happens with this file ?

Right click and you should be able to save it as a PNG

ping.png.c2687c0cc1a0d5ccbdba557af7170da2.png

I 'erased white paper' then exported it as a PNG.

export.jpg.b3faa3417269b62c832d2bc86e8f8f61.jpg

Note.Your image has a bit of a residue, and is not completely transparent so I increased the contrast a bit before 'erasing white paper'. However, I am only working from what you uploaded, not the original.

That PNG file loaded on to a different file with a background.

bg.jpg.151173a829d62fd346cf72091c72c921.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 hours ago, Larkin said:

I tried saving as a .png and it is still showing the background when I save and drop the image into a new document.

Make sure that the Affinity Photo document is set to use a transparent background, either initially in the New document window or by ticking the "Transparent background" item in the Document menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The only issue with using the Filter > Colour > White Paper Erase is it cannot distinguish between White paper and white paint, it makes it doubly hard with a watercolour image because in general white is the paper.

884958907_ScreenShot2018-07-11at09_30_23.thumb.png.4f43f28dc606545809d83f42fef2b4da.png

I think you'd get better results from the Selection Tool or the Flood Selection Tool, Upload a better sized untouched image so we can work out a workflow for you to use in the future.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The original Image generously uploaded to Pixabay by: navallo
watercolour-1578077_1920.thumb.jpg.defacc06f0ac923e3fec547cbc6f72fb.jpg

Image created using the selection tool1341658139_ScreenShot2018-07-11at10_09_04.thumb.png.27124f211d5e02d532871a54dc26b14d.png

watercolour-1578077_1920.afphoto

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 7/10/2018 at 6:46 PM, R C-R said:

Make sure that the Affinity Photo document is set to use a transparent background, either initially in the New document window or by ticking the "Transparent background" item in the Document menu.

Thank you!  This is something I tried and still no luck!

Here is a photo of the original artwork that I was working with (rather than a photo of my computer screen showing that it was saving it with the paper background as opposed to transparentthat I posted originally to show the problem.  I’d love to see if any of you can tell me how to do this most efficiently. What I’ve done for now is use the eraser to erase the background by hand (and applied flood erase in some areas) and then added a layer of white behind it and exported as a png. It worked ok for my purpose right now because I am printing on white, but I’d like to know how to do it properly and more efficiently for future reference.  Should the layer I’m working on not be the “background” layer possibly?

12527EF7-5F45-4047-B6A1-47EE74FC48B7.jpeg

18 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The original Image generously uploaded to Pixabay by: navallo
watercolour-1578077_1920.thumb.jpg.defacc06f0ac923e3fec547cbc6f72fb.jpg

Image created using the selection tool1341658139_ScreenShot2018-07-11at10_09_04.thumb.png.27124f211d5e02d532871a54dc26b14d.png

watercolour-1578077_1920.afphoto

Thank you for your response. So you are going around the entire subject’s perimeter to select it?  Is that what you mean?  I will have to watch more tutorials to figure out how you then cut it out or mask the background once you’ve completed your selection. Or if you could explain the steps without taking too much of your time I would so appreciate it!

18 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The only issue with using the Filter > Colour > White Paper Erase is it cannot distinguish between White paper and white paint, it makes it doubly hard with a watercolour image because in general white is the paper.

884958907_ScreenShot2018-07-11at09_30_23.thumb.png.4f43f28dc606545809d83f42fef2b4da.png

I think you'd get better results from the Selection Tool or the Flood Selection Tool, Upload a better sized untouched image so we can work out a workflow for you to use in the future.

Thanks for the tip!  I uploaded an original photo of the artwork below if you happen to have time to look at it. Someone else suggested the selection tool as well. I still have to have to learn all the steps to select it and separate it from the background.  The erase paper did pretty great for me but that was because my paper was white and that was what I wanted made transparent. I just couldn’t get it to save with the transparent background. 

@Larkin There is no artwork attached? didn't look up the post lol

2 hours ago, Larkin said:

Here is a photo of the original artwork that I was working with (rather than a photo of my computer screen showing that it was saving it with the paper background as opposed to transparentthat I posted originally to show the problem.  I’d love to see if any of you can tell me how to do this most efficiently. What I’ve done for now is use the eraser to erase the background by hand (and applied flood erase in some areas) and then added a layer of white behind it and exported as a png. It worked ok for my purpose right now because I am printing on white, but I’d like to know how to do it properly and more efficiently for future reference.  Should the layer I’m working on not be the “background” layer possibly?

I'm confused :S

I thought you wanted a transparent background? If you put a white layer behind it, and export it as a PNG it will have your white background, so will not be transparent.

Have a look at the attached .afppoto file. Note, it would need a little bit of hand retouching for the final version as a few bits of the background remain due to uneven lighting. A more evenly lit photo, or a good scan would help, if possible but if not.it could be retouched.

If you hide my red layer and export it (showing the transparent chequerboard background) as a PNG it will have a transparent background. If you show the red layer, it will have a red background. What You See Is What You Get.

ckmjp.jpg.205e22b1e9ea45a87496c152513cfed2.jpg

ckmred.jpg.ceabdc1bc36c475f0b91ff3f43120d24.jpg

ckm.afphoto

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

21 minutes ago, toltec said:

I think that is because it's a book ? 

Remember the old days when people used paper n stuff? :)

I still do, I love painting with Watercolours, it keeps me sane...ish

2 minutes ago, toltec said:

I haven't painted for years, which might explain a few things

crazy.jpg.228123dec04b398c8e9e0c61bb41d612.jpg

Hang in there little buddy, I think its time to start again before it's too late.

Another way since I love to work in traditional medium is to add a black layer mask, and use a brush tool and set the color to white, zoom in and paint what you want to keep, next select file, export and change the size if you want too, then export png, this will ensure you will export any work with a transparent background. I use it all the time to keep work by making  elements, patterns and cards and uploading to society 6.

Lisa Hawkins

1 hour ago, Lisa45 said:

Another way since I love to work in traditional medium is to add a black layer mask, and use a brush tool and set the color to white, zoom in and paint what you want to keep, next select file, export and change the size if you want too, then export png, this will ensure you will export any work with a transparent background. I use it all the time to keep work by making  elements, patterns and cards and uploading to society 6.

Ok!  Thanks so much for he tips!!  I like the idea of doing it in reverse like you say!  I’ll have to look into Society 6!  Never heard of that!  Thanks again!