CMartin

Designer freezes on a Mac when selecting a font

Starting from a new document, taking either of the two text tools and add to the document works fine with the default font, changing size etc. also works fine. However, selecting the font drop down causes the app to freeze up and only a force quite.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the whole application, I have reset all of the options allowing reset including fonts without success.  On the font reset, this does not present the Your fonts have been reset like it does for the other items under Preferences, Misc.

Running High Sierra 10.13.5

Affinity Designer 1.6.1

I should add that this is from the default font selector on the top left.  If I go from Text -> Show Character, I can select a font from the presented screen, and then oddly the top left font selection works!

Confused, I know I am.

Hi Chris,

its a 5k MAC and no custom fonts, though I have tried resetting the fonts just in case but not getting the reset message when I do. It’s all very odd, but at least I have the work around now so not as desperate as before.

cheers,

Martin

I have also tried resetting the fonts once the workaround has freed the fonts, but even that does not display the reset message!

This problem almost makes the program unusable. If I start a design and then wish to change fonts the application freezes and I have to restart it. 

I've validated my fonts and removed any that indicated there may be an error. Despite these changes the application still freezes the moment I try to click on a font drop-down menu.

You guys really need to fix this!

MDavis, have you tried the work around of Going via Text -> Show Character, I can select a font from the presented screen, and then oddly the top left font selection works!

Not idea, but it should get you past the bug. Though you are right, this really does need fixing, so much work can be lost whilst taking a valid option.

I should have added that it only works for that session, so when ever you open it take the back door route or you will hit the same crash.

has there been any progress on this issue both designer and photo do it on my Mac as well. I went as far as uninstalling both programs and reinstalling it. really don't want to have to do a factory boot on my Mac. even though most of my stuff is on cloud. Im rooting for a solution, My current solution and oddly this works, is to just high light a font I like from a web page and paste it in designer and it strangely works cause its not a font that saved in my font book. 

even when I try to download a font it won't be recognized or theres some error so I delete it and try another one. 

I've had the same issue on my 5k Display. But only when i'm in Fullscreen mode with Designer. As soon as i exit Fullscreen mode, i can change fonts without getting Designer to freeze.

I have a 4k LG either full screen or not still gives me the pin wheel of death :(

I also tried changing graphics settings to color range setting still the same 

I stand correct, I was wrong when not in full screen the font selection does not freeze.

Also, testing with the display set to default does not cause the issue. However, I do not consider having a 5k monitor set to default an acceptable solution. It’s like having a six speed gearbox in a car, but being top to not go above 3rd!

An app designed to run on a Mac should not dictate how the machine is set, it should just work. Good to know that the issue is being look in to.

Hi CMartin,
I didn't say it was a solution. I just mentioned it so we can confirm that it is in fact the bug we are already aware. As I said in the post above this is a known bug that's being looked into. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you.

Apols, my response was not meant to come over so harshly. It is frustrating that it is only just being acknowledged as an issue. You probably already know this (it was mentioned above) that both Affinity apps experience the same issue.

It is good to know that it is being looked at by you guys and we will get a fix.