florrpan

[CRASH/FREEZE] Major snapping issue on larger documents

I have a large document with several artboards.

I discovered that whenever I add a Frame text and it starts to calculate/view the snapping points, it completely freezes and I have to restart the application. This might be caused by the size of the document. Not really sure. I've tried creating new a document, but I can't replicate it.

This is a major issues since I now can't create new text areas for this scale project.

EDIT: I've cleaned the document from 2-3 artboards, reducing the load on the document. Crashes are gone.
But this should be looked into, we should be able to work in large files w/o crashing.

Still, crashes/freeze only happened with Frame text tool.

EDIT2: From a user in a Facebook group having similar issues with snapping. He's using MAC (I use Windows). So this is not OS specific.

Ok just went back into said document to test out your theory. There’s actually thousands of objects, not hundreds. I attempted to open an artboard and it crashed. This sometimes works if you leave it for 5 mins.

I shut down and reopened and did the same thing, except this time I turned snapping off first. It accomplished the task perfectly fine, so yeah, looks like snapping uses a lot of resources.

Using a 2017 13" MacBook Pro 3.1 Ghz 8 GB RAM

31 minutes ago, blackdragonvinyl said:

Will add a comment to see what response you get...

Thanks. I've edited my first respons again. Seems like we're closing in on a major issue.

Hi florrpan,

Would you be able to record a video showing this at all please? Also if possible would you be able to attach the file that is causing you problems! Does the freezing go away if you disable Snapping, or change the Snapping Candidates to 'Candidate List' or 'Immediate Layers'?

Thanks!

On 7/16/2018 at 11:59 AM, Sean P said:

Hi florrpan,

Would you be able to record a video showing this at all please? Also if possible would you be able to attach the file that is causing you problems! Does the freezing go away if you disable Snapping, or change the Snapping Candidates to 'Candidate List' or 'Immediate Layers'?

Thanks!

The crashing stops when disabling snapping, I also got this confirmed by other users.
Immediate layers worked, also candidate list. When choosing immediate with children it started to hang again. 

Video of the problem. Notice it only crash when calculating snapping for text frames.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hdAGvSLlOIquztLI5EvoneXzAU16CK_j/view

I do have a copy of the file, but it's 400MB in size and I rather not upload it publicly.

Thanks for the video! I've tried using a document here with 10 Artboards with many different objects and designs on it (although I don't think its quite as complex as yours), but still no crash. 
If possible would you mind uploading your document to our internal Dropbox account using the link below please? I have a feeling it is very dependant on document!

https://www.dropbox.com/request/8jSFyMtyvbIuf9KtcIjq

16 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for the video! I've tried using a document here with 10 Artboards with many different objects and designs on it (although I don't think its quite as complex as yours), but still no crash. 
If possible would you mind uploading your document to our internal Dropbox account using the link below please? I have a feeling it is very dependant on document!

https://www.dropbox.com/request/8jSFyMtyvbIuf9KtcIjq

I've uploaded the file to that link. :)

I have noticed that it doesn´t have to do anything with how large the file is but on how many objects there are in the given art board. It just stops working once it tries to calculate the snapping 

The workaround I just found it to exclude such layer from snapping and the Designer won´t freeze. Until this gets fixed I would suggest you turning of snapping on Artboards you are not using now and it should work fine.