I have Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 installed on a Lenovo Laptop running Windows 8.1.

I have tried to use the Flood selection tool on developing a RAW fil.

Everytime I try and use the Flood selection tool it selects the whole image and not the sky as I want.

I understand this is a known bug in the Windows version of Affinity Photo - is there any way around it?

There is no floot selection in the develop persona, unless I missed something.

Check the tolerance of the floor tool, i think the value is 100% or something below.

The better results do you get with that selection brush tool.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 :  Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.0.188 :     Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 : Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.0.188.

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.0.174       Windows 10 Pro  ( version  1803 Build 17134.407)

I tried the Flood Select Tool at a Tolerance of 100% (and just below) in Photo Persona (sorry not Develop Persona).

Exactly the same result - it selects the whole image (see below) and automatically reduces the tolerance to ~23%

Flood Select Tool Screen shot.png

As Gnobelix said, there's no flood select in the Develop persona, which is where you should end up if you use File->Open to open a RAW file.

There is a flood select tool in the Photo persona. If you were to, for example, use File->Place to put a RAW image into an existing document, it would be Developed automatically, and put into the document as an (Image) layer rather than a (Pixel) layer. In that case, you would need to Rasterize the layer before you could work with pixel selections on it.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16.0GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.188 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.188 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.192 Beta

Thanks for the clarification - that was not explain in the video tutorial (Maybe it worth stating you can't work directly on RAW files with the Flood Selection Tool.

Can you explain why the other selection tools work on Raw Files but not the Flood Selection Tool.

It's not a question of "on Raw files" but of "what persona are you in". There are no pixel selection tools in the Develop persona, as far as I know.

How are you getting your file into Affinity Photo? That will determine what kind of layer you end up with, and the kind of layer will determine how the pixel selection tools work. (Or, really, for the other selection tools, what happens after you make the selection.)

You need to make sure you're working on a pixel layer. Unfortunately, your screenshot above does not show us the Layers panel, so we can't really see what the problem might be.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16.0GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz

Hey APM,

As it has been suggested, we need to see your Layers Panel. I saved your screenshot and can successfully flood select the sky or grass etc. which leads me to believe you're not on the pixel layer. 

Walt/Chris B,

Thank you for putting me on the right track.

For some reason when I tried the Flood Select Tool previously (even when I thought I had the pixel layer selected) I couldn't get it work as expected. But when I tried it again it worked as I thought it would.

I have noticed sometimes, if you drag the flood select tool acroos a building eventually it picks up part of the sky - would changing the tolerance overcome this?

I spoke too soon - here is an example where I cannot select the sky (whether I try to select either background or up the tolerance).

As you see I have selected the pixel layer - the flood select tool starts off in part of the sky , the creates a "Affinity is not responding" error message and finally selects the whole image.

I can select the cliffs or the bottom 2/3 rds of the image with the flood select tool.

Is there any other way to select the sky?

Thank you for your assistance.

Screenshot.png

It probably won't help resolve your problem, but I'm curious what you have nested in that layer. And wondering if the flood select would work with just the layer, without the nested adjustments?

-- Walt

Walt, here is a screenshot showing the Unsharp Mask nested in one of the Pixel layers.

I tried to select the Pixel layer which doesn't have the Unsharp Mask nested in it.

As before the flood select tool starts off in part of the sky , the creates a "Affinity is not responding" error message and finally selects the whole image.

I have noticed this on other developed raw files where the flood select tool starts off in the area of the image where I want to use it, this also  creates a "Affinity is not responding" error message and finally selects the whole image.

Any ideas how I can overcome this?

Screenshot v2.png

Sorry; no ideas at this point. I hope someone else will have some for you.

-- Walt

On 7/11/2018 at 10:34 AM, APM said:

I have noticed sometimes, if you drag the flood select tool acroos a building eventually it picks up part of the sky - would changing the tolerance overcome this?

The very act of dragging changes the tolerance. Click without dragging if you want to keep the current tolerance setting.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.10.83 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1 (iPad Air 2)

Alfred, thank for the suggestion.

Unfortunately when I change the Tolerance to ~100% (as suggested earlier by Chris B), the Flood Selection Tool goes through the same process as I have described previously, with the tolerance returning to the value it chooses for selecting the whole image.

Is there a way to force the Flood Selection Tool to "accept" a single tolerance value.

It appears it will only select the sky or an object if it is distinct - for example the hill in the image above.

I didn't see any earlier suggestion (in this thread, at least) to change tolerance to 100%, APM. Alfred suggested simply clicking, rather than dragging. Have you tried that? It works for me when I try it using the screenshot you posted, but that's not the same as the original file, of course.

Can you save a .afphoto file that doesn't work for you and attach it here, so we can try on your actual file?

-- Walt