You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Controls in transform studio on iPad

Hi everyone,

I want to resize and rescale one of the pixel layers in my image. I selected the layer in the layers studio and tried to change dimensions and position in the transform studio. The controls do not react on any interaction and keep showing 0.0. (Flip and rotate work and also the lock dimensions, but this seems useless when the dimensions cannot be changed)

How can I do this?

Also: Is there a way to resize and move a layer manually by dragging?

I am using Photo (1.6.7.76) for iPad under iOS 11.4

I’ve just tried to move a rectangle created with the Rectangle Tool in Affinity Photo for iPad. Moving it on the canvas (with the Move Tool) works as expected, as does typing new X and Y values in the Transform Studio, but if I try to change the value by ‘scrubbing’ I get very inconsistent results: depending on the direction, the value often snaps back to the previous setting.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 7/8/2018 at 7:00 AM, DWright said:

The pixel layer is always the dimension of your document and therefore can not be resized, the objects placed on this layer can be resized using the transform tools

I do not understand this answer. A pixel layer contains only one object, that being its pixels. It certainly does not have to be the dimensions of the document & it can be resized using the Move Tool on the canvas or in the Transform Studio in the usual way:

1553578434_pixellayer.jpg.901ef823ac3292cb328a67139fb38eb7.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 7/8/2018 at 7:13 AM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’ve just tried to move a rectangle created with the Rectangle Tool in Affinity Photo for iPad. Moving it on the canvas (with the Move Tool) works as expected, as does typing new X and Y values in the Transform Studio, but if I try to change the value by ‘scrubbing’ I get very inconsistent results: depending on the direction, the value often snaps back to the previous setting.

I assume by scrubbing you mean dragging on the X or Y Position values in the Transform Studio. If so, I cannot duplicate this using either my finger or my Apple Pencil. Scrubbing up, down, left, or right all work as expected with no snapping back to a previous value.

I only tested using the top left & center Anchors, & only with a document set to use pixel dimensions so maybe check & see if for you it is some other combination that has this issue?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I assume that this is one of those "correct but useless"  answers.

The (transparent) layer itself doesn't contain any pixels so can't be resized. It's only when you put something on that layer (which then adds pixels to it,) that that object can be resized. It's the object (made up of pixels) that you're resizing, not the layer itself.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I assume by scrubbing you mean dragging on the X or Y Position values in the Transform Studio.

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean. If I place my finger on the X control and move it up beyond the Width label, the X value increases until I lift my finger: at that point, it goes back to what it was originally.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean. If I place my finger on the X control and move it up beyond the Width label, the X value increases until I lift my finger: at that point, it goes back to what it was originally.

Hmmm. That is not happening on my iPad unless I move my finger all the way off the touch surface before lifting it, like I do 12 seconds into this recording. I don't know if that is by design or what.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
3 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Thanks for letting us know about this Alfred. It's a little random but it's relatively easy to replicate. Issue logged to be looked at.

3 hours ago, PaulEC said:

The (transparent) layer itself doesn't contain any pixels so can't be resized. 

True, but the 'size' of a newly created empty pixel layer, transparent or not, is zero units wide by zero units high, so it cannot possibly have the same dimensions as the document, right?

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Thanks for letting us know about this Alfred. It's a little random but it's relatively easy to replicate. Issue logged to be looked at.

As I said, I cannot duplicate that behavior on my iPad unless I drag my finger all the way off the touch surface. So far I have been unable to duplicate it even once if my finger stays on the surface, including well beyond the width label in any direction.

Affinity Photo