You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using a lens blur with the gradient tool

30 minutes ago, owenr said:

If that's true then we're back to what I've said a couple of times recently: you pretend not to understand a subject in order to prolong a disagreement. There are plenty of places on the web for that. I do not think we need that here.

I am not pretending about anything. I am simply expressing my opinion about what is relevant to discussions such as this one, based on my experience. I am not asking anyone to agree with me about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

33 minutes ago, PedroOfOz said:

I'm puzzled!

Back in the day we photogs considered DOF (or selective focus...whatever) as part of image previsualization. After all—no digital makeovers, no chimping and so on back then...

If realistic effects are required why not go about it the way it should be done—in the camera!  

Ha! Such a good point. There are many reasons why, but if everyone did that then there would be no need to use software to create fakes would there?

And when you think about it, any photograph which has been modified/edited automatically becomes fake doesn't it?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

16 minutes ago, PedroOfOz said:

Back in the day we photogs considered DOF (or selective focus...whatever) as part of image previsualization.

Back in the day I made liberal use of the mechanically linked manual stop down lever on my camera to take the guesswork out of doing that. It worked great for shots where the lens was not stopped down very much for the shot, not so well above f5.6 or so because there was not enough light coming through the SLR viewfinder to see the DoF very well. Of course, at higher f stops the DoF was higher to begin with, so it was mostly useful for near wide open shots.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Not to stir-up the pot again, but have you seen this PS tutorial by Jesus Ramirez?  It is a two part video, in part one shows an approximation that is compatible with AP.  I translated it into AP and it works.  In part two he shows how create a Z-map.  It looks like a great deal of work, but the result was impressive.  Before I go to the effort of creating an AP translation, does anybody thoughts regarding it working in AP?

https://photoshoptrainingchannel.com/blur-backgrounds-shallow-depth-of-field-effect/