You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designing music CD cover - do I need Photoshop after all?

I’m just wrapping up recording an album of music, purchased Affinity Photo perhaps too hastily for the artwork.  I don’t want to only create images for upload to streaming services; I also need to do full 4 panel layout of CD jacket.  Most duplication houses provide templates for this, compatible with Photoshop, Quark, Coreldraw, etc.  I like the way Affinity is laid out, would like to do the project with it, but I also want to be able to work with a template that is optimized to the task.  All my net searches about this yeild mostly a few other people wanting to do the same thing with Affinity and getting very little actionable assistance.  So now I’m thinking I should have looked more thoroughly before I leaped... I need to just bite the bullet and buy Photoshop, right?

3 hours ago, EscapeNote said:

I’m just wrapping up recording an album of music, purchased Affinity Photo perhaps too hastily for the artwork.  I don’t want to only create images for upload to streaming services; I also need to do full 4 panel layout of CD jacket.  Most duplication houses provide templates for this, compatible with Photoshop, Quark, Coreldraw, etc.  I like the way Affinity is laid out, would like to do the project with it, but I also want to be able to work with a template that is optimized to the task.  All my net searches about this yeild mostly a few other people wanting to do the same thing with Affinity and getting very little actionable assistance.  So now I’m thinking I should have looked more thoroughly before I leaped... I need to just bite the bullet and buy Photoshop, right?

To be honest, that would be a better job for Affinity Designer and Artboards.

Designer would be the perfect program for the job but you could use Photo which is just as good as Photoshop. Don't waste your money on Photoshop, Designer is far cheaper.

cd.jpg.15878954af1e5718188a0c7b8a8d5051.jpg

A CD jacket

If you get in trouble, I'm sure anyone here would knock up a quick template for you, or show you how.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Just use the PDF templates that should be on your CD manufactures website they should just load straight into designer all to size - I find it so easy in designer and the majority of my work is this kind of stuff - one thing I have noticed is that most cd repro houses always require CMYK artwork in their guidelines, but a few templates I have downloaded from some companies have their templates setup RGB so always check once you have the PDF open in designer.

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

You should be able to open Photoshop templates in Affinity Photo just fine. You can also produce print ready PDFs (with vector shapes and embedded fonts) with AP. Mostly I would worry about how to handle bleeds but I suppose that is also built in to PS template.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hey, thank you ALL for the thoughtful, helpful replies!  I'm going to purchase Designer this eve and then revisit this thread to re-read in a couple of days when my schedule clears again.  Am definitely feeling better about investing time and $ into the program now, looking forward to learning more.  Thanks much for the templates and suggestions; I'll post back after I get a little deeper in.  Cheers!