You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best quality tif from rif (Corel Painter)

Corel Painter is my drawing/painting program coming initially from a world with large canvases and acrylic paint. Meaning that my original artwork is no longer a canvas with paint, but a digital file - and sold as a tif file. 

My question here is how - in Affinity, can I get the best quality from a Painter riff file to a tif file?

As long as I can't open a riff file directly in Affinity (yet at least), how should I preserve the best quality for high-quality printing when converting the riff to tif? 

Should I save the original riff to tif inside Painter, and then put correct colour dept inside Affinity, or should I convert to a psd file in Painter, open the psd in Affinity and then convert it to a tif file?

I'm new to Affinity, so is there anyone who knows something about this situation, who use Painter - or know the best solution here?
Would highly appreciate help and experience here (-:

PS - Adobe Photoshop is not an option, I refuse first of all the subscription setup. Corel Paintshop is not an option either as I can't work in 'Adobe RGB 1989', just sRGB which is not good enough for my purpose. So I'm thrilled to find Affinity, but need advises from you who is more experienced with Affinity than me.

3 hours ago, Fixx said:

It should make no difference if you use PSD or TIFF. Both offer lossless/uncompressed image quality and bit depth options.

Thank you Fixx, then I stick with tif as that is my end product.

27 minutes ago, Mike Naylor said:

TIFF can only be saved with LZW compression.

In Affinity apps. In other apps the compression can be disabled.

When used, the compression is lossless.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In Affinity apps. In other apps the compression can be disabled.

When used, the compression is lossless.

Thank you Walt. Important information again here, and I get frustrated, seem that whatever program I use, it must be something. Hey, I don't ask for much - but as I sell my artwork as digital files, in tiff - I need the best quality. Meaning, Adobe RGB 1989 colour profile, at least 16-bit colour depth, and an uncompressed file.
But to what you wrote, do you say that LZW compression is giving the SAME quality in all ways, as an uncompressed file?

Sorry guys, I get frustrated here - is it ONLY Photoshop that wants to give me what I need?
Don't know if I should scream or cry - I don't want to laugh. Me who consider Dali as a surrealist, but here image editing software is sitting on surrealism throne.

30 minutes ago, Artvid said:

But to what you wrote, do you say that LZW compression is giving the SAME quality in all ways, as an uncompressed file?

Yes, the quality of the file/image is exactly the same.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, the quality of the file/image is exactly the same.

Puh, that's great - then my printer will not kill me (-:

Lucky to have a great gichlee printer here in Norway, he only work for artists - so all prints has to go through me. But he always call me, "check this and that" - but the results are just amazing, so he is keeping the standard for me. When I sell outside Norway I just sell the files for download, and based on some recommendation from me, the buyer do the printing locally (great if they are in Japan or even UK).
I was on the wild hunt for alternative to Affinity, even looked at Photoshop in my desperation. 

But please Affinity developers, can't you just let us user choose if we want uncompressed or LZW - we are adults you know?

14 hours ago, Fixx said:

PSD format is also compressed :-)

This is perfectly academic discussion as lossless compression in PSD and TIF does not affect quality in any way. 

Point taken Fixx (-:
Just remember I'm an artist, and even if I have worked a lot with HTML coding and large sites, I'm absolutely not a tech guy (-:
When I worked with my large canvases and acrylic paint, I have to admit that the artwork was not always kindly treated. They were stuffed into vans to bring them to exhibitions and so on, and not much better inside my studio. But I can tell you that when paintings were sold for ten thousand USD and upwards - the gallery treated them like fragile glass when bringing them to the art collectors. A friend who is a curator at the Munch Museum in Oslo told me that Edvard Munch used to lay his paintings out in the garden, open air where wind, rain or snow could give them what Munch called patina. Well it's not as easy when I make my artworks digitally today, my printer is sitting on my shoulder asking for a specific standard, so when I hear compressed, I get the shiver, just because I don't know enough tech stuff )-:
So sorry for ranting about what maybe should be basic knowledge when working digital, but I'm not all there yet - so thank you for your patience and help, all of you, it's highly appreciated (-: