You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, 

so, I opened an rgb image, I applied the High contrast BW Tone Mapping and saved file as .afphoto, closed the file.
Today I opened the image and applied a denoise filter, now I want to history brush in some areas to prior step (before denoise), history brush paints the original rgb state and I cannot set source to  the first state on the history of today session.

maybe I am missing something very simple...  thanks for any help!

• Staff

Hi @Roberto Mosaico,

Welcome to the forums.

If you want to use the History Brush, you have to save the history with the document first. Please check the "file" menu and see if "save history with document" is enabled. If it's not, there would be no history saved with your .afdesign file. Have a look at this video:

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks Gabe, but I do not need to access past steps, just the pixels as they are on the image as I opened it, today I have only denoise in the history panel. All I am trying access is step zero on today's history.

I found a way around, if I apply a minor levels adjustment, then the denoise filter, now I can source history to prior denoise, not pretty workaround but does the trick. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.17.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.22.56 AM.png

• Staff

If you have not worked on layers and worked directly on the image, history will not be preserved unless you save the document with history. You do not have any history on your first photo, and you cannot retrieve it either. By adding the denoise and the levels, you're only creating new history steps, but not restoring anything. 

5 minutes ago, Roberto Mosaico said:

All I am trying access is step zero on today's history.

There is another way to do this using the Snapshots studio panel. (If it is not already open, tick it in the View > Studio submenu.) There should be one snapshot listed there, representing the last saved state of your document. If so, click on its camera icon to select it as the Undo Brush source & then try painting with that brush.

See https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/DesignAids/snapshot.html for more about this feature.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

There is another way to do this using the Snapshots studio panel. (If it is not already open, tick it in the View > Studio submenu.) There should be one snapshot listed there, representing the last saved state of your document. If so, click on its camera icon to select it as the Undo Brush source & then try painting with that brush.

See https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/DesignAids/snapshot.html for more about this feature.

thanks @GabrielMand @R C-R, via Snapshot is a better way!