You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hey there. 

i just got my hands on affinity designer and have allready a question i couldn't find an answer to.

in affinity designer you can set up your document with page size and so on, fine. but if i choose, for example an A4 paper and set the background to transparent i get an A4-page that is transparent but surroundet by a black frame all over. if i drag an object on this "black frame" (don't know how to call it), it is no longer visible, and that's pretty disturbing.

So is there a possibility to remove that frame so one has this grey and white blocks pattern all over the screen, and only a line to show my document size??

thanks in advance,

a random dude

• Staff

Hi @randomdude,

Welcome to the forum. You can create an artboard from your document and you will be able to see the off-document items. You can do this by selecting the Artboard tool ( second icon from the top on the tool panel ), or by ticking the Artboard box when you create a new document.  

Thanks,

Gabe.

• Staff

Hi randomdude,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Go to menu View ▸ View Mode and untick Clip to Canvas to abe able to see objects placed in the pasteboard area for regular (non-artboard based) documents. There's no way to turn the  pasteboard area transparent but you can change its grey level going to Affinity Designer Preferences, User Interface section and setting the Background Grey Level slider as you prefer. You can also do the same there for artboard based documents.

Its the white that makes the grey look darker, you could try creating a rectangle with white and changing its opacity to about 60% then lock the layer. and just turn it off when you're ready to export. its a bit of a trick on the eyes, it makes the transparency look faded.

No fade layer
2093529977_ScreenShot2018-07-05at15_34_58.png.68957b179cfa88c5d528cd3cba145b9d.png

With a 60% white fade layer
721626705_ScreenShot2018-07-05at15_35_47.png.962f6010913e589124c4948c95138d15.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions