You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Acdsee and XNview MP, depending on the planned usage. probably the most pro/premium versions.(still cheap)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

9 minutes ago, verysame said:

Digikam, pretty solid. 

I tried it briefly, but found it was unable (or unwilling) to look at files on my network-attached drives .

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

58 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I tried it briefly, but found it was unable (or unwilling) to look at files on my network-attached drives .

Check the type of database you're using, sqlite (which should be the default one) is not ideal for configuration that uses the network. 

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

I use a first pass with (legacy) Bridge to set the metadata and keywords, then use Acdsee.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, verysame said:

Check the type of database you're using, sqlite (which should be the default one) is not ideal for configuration that uses the network. 

Thanks. I'm sure it was sqlite, but the database was on a local drive; it was only the photos that were on the network.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, rickd said:

0n1 raw 2018.5.  A little confusing to learn, but plays nice with Affinity. Lots of video help on YouTube.

I recently bought this on the last moment of their special offer (for less than £50). So far I have not really evaluated it, but it seems to be well-regarded by forum members.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Great response!! Thank-you . I'm sure many will appreciate your thoughts. Not much point having lots of good photos if you cannot find them now; or in 10-30 years . The best filing tool is the "Delete" button !
Couple points I have noticed while looking away from Adobe's subscription --- IMO, it might be too big of an ask to have the one platform for all editing and organizing. Might work well enough for a while for newcomers and very basic editing.

On1: I'm here because I have basically given up on that 'great' (editing) program . The On1 DAM system don't do it for me with the biggest complaint being every keyword and tag I have ever typed into my computers (including typos/dumb wording/never used/deleted from Lr) are locked into the On1 system . And keywords cannot be deleted
When a multi-keyworded file is sent Lr>On1>lr ; the keywords are returned as single k/words and that quickly become a big problem for me . I'm not an organized person, dyslexia does not help,  and I likely use too many Keywords. 

So I really hope affinity does not add a DAM system into their editing system . A totally different or new program for organizing could be better IMO -- think PS+Bridge.
Having said that; I do like having the ("restricted") editing within Lr and often feel Adobe have taken Lr editing too far even if that was at the request of users who will always want something extra. I could do all organising and 90% or more of my editing within Lr5; but I made and consider the adjustment brush best friend
;) 

I might have another look into adcsee; if I can get my licence numbers to work :( ; but I feel it's Lr5 for now and for a lot long